Washington Hall awarded energy and environmental design certification
TUSKEGEE, Ala. (January 25, 2012) — Tuskegee University’s Margaret Murray Washington Hall has been awarded LEED CS certification by the United States Green Building Council. LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification is given to facilities that use green practices in design, construction and operation. The hall is the first LEED certified project on the university’s campus.
Designed by Rosser International Inc., the 19,222-square-foot building houses the Office of Admissions and Enrollment Management, campus bookstore, eateries, and serves as a point of welcome for visitors.
Named after the third wife of university founder Booker T. Washington, the original building was constructed in 1897, but was demolished in 2009 due to structural problems. The hall was rebuilt and completed in September 2010 for a total cost of $5,974,000. In November 2010, the new building was featured in American School & University magazine for outstanding design.
According to the publication, the building features several “green” building elements such as low-flow plumbing fixtures that reduce water consumption by 21.1 percent, energy efficient heating and air conditioning systems, and ventilation that helps improve air quality.
The stacked design of the hall helped to maximize open space for vegetation at the building site. The building was constructed using bricks salvaged from the original structure. The new materials used are environmentally friendly and made with recycled content.
The entire hall reflects the university’s commitment to conserving natural areas and restoration of previous developments. The hall was rebuilt to create a functional open gathering space that is connected with the outdoors by walkways and lawns. The building is not only meant to be attractive and useful, but to promote a healthy and green standard of construction on campus.