Posting Date: August 12, 2013 Posting End Date: Open Until Filled
Position: Department Head
The Department Head is appointed/reappointed every two years
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Interprets the total functioning of the nursing program to faculty, campus and to clinical agencies.
- Provides leadership and directions for the implementation of the nursing curriculum.
- Serve as chair of the Curriculum, Program Development and Evaluation Committee.
- Plans, with the Associate Dean/Director and Director for Research/Continuing Education, for faculty/staff development programs to meet the needs for professional growth and development.
- Works with Associate Dean to develop strategic budget for Nursing.
- Conduct orientation for new faculty members and ensure each is fully established in the use of University academic and administrative IT Systems as appropriate.
- Coordinates the annual review of all aspects of the Nursing programs.
- Recognizes and informs the Director of existing or potential problems relating to the operation of the nursing program.
- Initiates faculty performance evaluation (classroom/clinical, scholarly activities, development and submit to Office of Associate Dean/Director.
- Maintains a file on program evaluation, i.e., peer/faculty evaluation, licensure exam results, employee/employer studies, and alumni responses.
- Arranges for an annual meeting with agency representatives from the clinical facilities used by nursing faculty.
- Monitors expiration dates on clinical contracts for nursing and initiate the renewal process as necessary.
- Develops, in collaboration with faculty, the clinical needs for each academic year and represent the department at clinical agency meetings.
- Provides oversight to the programmatic operations of the Coordinator of Academic Support Services.
- Teaches a minimum of three (3) semester hours per semester in the curriculum.
- Maintains a close working relationship with the Coordinator of Academic Support Services in the recruitment, admission, progression and retention of students.
- Provide oversight for effective use of the computerized simulation nursing skills labs.
- Collaborate with Coordinator of Academic Support Services in assessing academic needs of students and in developing learning enrichment activities.
- Provides oversight to the assessment, planning, and implementation of review program in preparation for NCLEX success.
- Monitors course faculty-team meetings, planning, and course implementation to ensure effective teaching and learning approaches to meet the academic needs of students and to achieve desired program outcomes.
- Assumes primary leadership in formulating reports to accrediting/approval agencies, institutional effectiveness, and submit to the office of the Associate Dean.
- Conduct a minimum of two (2) course faculty team meetings per semester to establish organization of class/clinical learning activities, evaluation, and utilization of evaluation data to improve course, learning outcomes and retention.
- Collaborate with nursing faculty to establish strategic plan for the retention of students in the professional phase..
- Establishes a system for evaluation of faculty to include peer evaluation and collaborates with associate dean to facilitate annual faculty evaluation. Work with faculty to establish a strategic plan for the retention students in the profession phase.
- Covers the Office of the Department of Nursing during the absence of the Director.
- Serves as a member of the Dean’s Advisory Council
- Performs other duties as required
- Doctoral Degree in Nursing or related field and a Master of Science degree in a clinical nursing specialty required; a minimum of five years of teaching experience. At least two years in leadership/administration in nursing education or clinical practice.
**The statements contained in this job announcement reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. **
Commensurate with training, experience, and University Compensation Plan
APPLICATIONS will be accepted in the Office of Human Resources. Each applicant should complete a Tuskegee University employment application, and submit (3) letters of reference, and a copy of the appropriate transcript for the educational requirements with the submission.
Submit To: The Attention of Doris Holeman
Human Resources Department
Room 101 Kresge Center
Tuskegee, Alabama 36088
Email Address: email@example.com Fax: 334/724-4319
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer-Male/Female/Veteran/Disabled
Federal law requires identity and employment eligibility verifications on Form I-9 within three (3) business days of employment.