Posting Date: January 14, 2015
Position: Director of Marketing, Communications and Public Relations
Posting End Date: Open Until Filled
Location: President’s Office
Tuskegee University (TU) seeks a visionary marketing director that is able to see the big picture to develop and implement college brand and marketing strategies. The successful candidate is a dynamic leader with the ability to infuse contemporary marketing concepts and techniques into a university environment. The ability to collaborate is essential - with college faculty, staff and committees to determine strategies on how to best market the unique features of our diverse array of college programs, departments, and services. Core responsibilities of the position include developing and implementing strategic plan and directions for the marketing of TU; serving as a leader and manager of the marketing, web, and communication team; and working with internal clients and external vendors on establishing TU brand resulting in an understanding of all stakeholders as to what makes TU unique.
In keeping with the President’s commitment to Tuskegee University becoming an “Outcomes-Oriented University,” the ideal Director of Marketing, Communications, and Public Relations will possess the ability to listen and learn about the qualities and nuances of each program/department to position TU as the preferred educational choice. They should have the ability to view organizations holistically and implement strategies to prioritize marketing activities for the highest impact, return on investment, and outcomes. See President Johnson’s Vision Document http://www.tuskegee.edu/about_us/administration/vision_document.aspx and his Presidential Commentary http://www.tuskegee.edu/about_us/administration/the_washington_digest.aspx
The Director of Marketing, Communications, and Public Relations is responsible for developing and implementing a marketing, web, and communication strategy to promote TU as the preferred educational choice for students, while consistently elevating the brand. The position is essential in the formulation and articulation of a vision for the marketing plan and will build on the existing foundation of the Tuskegee brand. The director is responsible for the management and supervision of the marketing, web and communication team and will work closely with other college departments, including the Office of the President, to articulate how TU meets the needs of students and community, while advancing the brand.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, or related subject
- 7-10 years' work experience in marketing, communications, or related field
- Responsible for development and implementation of strategic marketing plans
- Experience with project management in an organization that has multiple programs or departments competing for priority
- Proficiency and experience with multi-faceted marketing and communication channels including digital and social media.
- Experience with brand management through traditional and non-traditional channels
- Responsible for budgeting of programs/projects across multiple target audiences and channels
- Progressively increased supervisory experience and responsibilities
Preferred Qualifications: Masters in marketing, business administration, or related subject; 10+ years work experience in marketing, communications, or related field; Successful marketing research at a local and regional scope; General understanding of higher education's role in the community; Knowledge of basic website administration; Knowledge of public relations and public information strategies.
- Lead, manage, and supervise the marketing, web and communication team. Leverage the existing skill sets to meet college marketing goals. Invest in professional development opportunities for the team to contribute to sustainability of TU human capital.
- Develop, implement, and manage TU strategic marketing plan to include and consider timelines, plan implementation, annual cycle, multi-channel campaigns, diverse array of targeted audiences, and recently established TU brand. Include the creation and implementation of mechanisms to determine ROI and impact of marketing, web and communication activities on college goals.
- Use targeted marketing strategies to support student/client recruitment efforts across all academic programs and administrative Units. Engage all communities TU serves locally and nationwide.
- Annually develop, propose, manage, and oversee marketing, web and communication budget.
- Oversee all purchasing and vendor relations activities. Track budget to ensure funds being used are providing desired ROI.
- Act as a brand manager to ensure consistency and use of TU marks, messaging, and brand within established parameters.
- Build relationships with academic chairs, deans, and administrative directors and coordinators to learn how to best meet the marketing needs of the college.
- Coordinate with Admissions, Alumni Affairs and Advancement/Development office in order to align and leverage resources available.
- Act as the lead of an effective Marketing Advisory Committee composed of college faculty and staff to set department activities and priorities.
- Develop and identify marketing research strategies to guide the decisions and actions of the marketing, web, and communication team.
Commensurate with training, experience, and University Compensation Plan
Application: Review of nominations and application materials will begin immediately. For best consideration, application materials should be submitted by February 15, 2015. A nomination letter should include the nominee’s name, position of interest, address, telephone number and email address. An application should include: a letter addressing how the candidate’s experiences match the position requirements; a resume or curriculum vitae; and the names of five professional references with titles, addresses, telephone number, and email addresses. All material should be submitted electronically via MS Word or PDF attachments (email) to email@example.com; Please include a cc copy to Dr. Shantay N. Bolton, Director of Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org. All paper-based materials should be mailed to:
ATTN: Office of Human Resources
Kresge Administration Building
Tuskegee, AL 36088
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer-Male/Female/Veteran/Disabled
Federal law requires identity and employment eligibility verifications on Form I-9 within three (3) business days of employment.