Sustainable Livestock Production (Beef Cattle Focus)
June 27, 2013
Union Springs, AL 36089
Ruminant livestock, especially beef cattle, production has been a major enterprise for many farmers in Alabama. Alabama has 1.23 million cattle and calves, which accounts for the second topmost farm commodity with cash receipts of $395.8 million in 2011. The 2007 Agriculture Census data shows that 76 percent of the cattle producers are small scale producers with a herd size of less than 50. There are many avenues that need improvement (such as pasture and grazing system, supplementary feeding, routine health care and management, breeding) in the existing livestock production system for the producers to be benefitted from their operations. The purpose of this workshop is to educate and train field-level Extension professionals and livestock producers on different aspects of sustainable livestock production system, especially focusing on a cow-calf operation.
Click here for a copy of the Agenda.
Major topics/activities (8:30am - 4:30pm)
• Basics of sustainable livestock production
• Pasture improvement and sustainable grazing management
• Silvopasture establishment and management for extending grazing
• Animal nutrition and feeding strategy
• Sustainable breeding management of a beef cattle herd
Hands-on and demonstration session
• Soil sample collection and preparation, pasture walk, weed and forage plant identification, forage seed identification and planting depth
• Routine health care and management of a beef cattle herd ((age teeth, castration, vaccination, deworming, hoof inspection and trimming, etc.)
Workshop venues time:
1. Hands-on and demonstration sessions: 412 Jernigan Road, Union Springs, AL 36089, 8:30-11:00 AM
2. Indoor presentation sessions: 18672 Hwy 82 East, Union Springs, AL 36089, 11:15 AM to 4:30 PM
Registration fee: $10.00
Click here for registration form.
Please reserve your place today by sending registration form to: Ms. Yvonne Wright, 201 Morrison-Mayberry Hall, Tuskegee University Cooperative Extension Program, Tuskegee, AL 36088. Alternatively, you can email or fax the registration form to Ms. Wright at email@example.com, fax: 334-727-8812.
Driving direction to the Hands-on and Demonstration Session Venue (Jernigan’s Farm)
1. From Montgomery: Take I-85 N towards Atlanta, take exit 11 to merge onto AL-110 E/US-80 E/Chantilly Pkwy, Continue to follow AL-110 E, Turn left at AL-110 E/Vaughn Rd
Continue to follow Vaughn Rd, Continue onto AL-110 E, Slight left at AL-6 E/US-82 E, Turn right to stay on AL-6 E/US-82 E, Take the 3rd left onto Martin Luther King Blvd, Take the 2nd right onto AL-6 E/US-82 E/Conecuh Ave W, Continue to follow AL-6 E/US-82 E, Turn right at Aberfoil Rd/Bullock County 127/Co Rd 127 (continue driving until you see small dirt road on your left), Turn left at Jernigan Road (dirt road) and Drive to #412 (There will be Workshop Sign at the Farm)
2. From Atlanta: Take I-85 South, Take EXIT 51, turn LEFT onto US-29 S/S College St/AL 15 S and continue, Turn left at S Main St (at Tuskegee downtown), Continue onto AL-15 S/US-29 S/Union Springs Rd, Turn left at AL-6 E/US-82 E/Conecuh Ave W and continue, Turn right at Aberfoil Rd/Bullock County 127/Co Rd 127 (continue driving until you see small dirt road on your left), Turn left at Jernigan Road (dirt road) and Drive to #412 (There will be Workshop Sign at the Farm).
After the hands-on session is over, everyone will be driving to 18672 Hwy 82 East, Union Springs, AL 36089 to participate in the indoor session.
Driving direction from Jernigan’s Farm to the Indoor Session Venue
Start out going southwest toward Old Albertoil Rd., Turn right onto Old Albertoil Rd., Turn slight left onto CR-127, Turn left onto US-82 W/AL-6 W, Turn left onto N Martin Luther King Blvd/US-29/US-82/AL-15/AL-6, Take the 2nd right onto US-29/US-82/Blackmon St/AL-15/AL-6. Continue to follow US-82/Blackmon St/AL-6, Turn left onto US-82/Baskin St/AL-6, Stay straight to go onto US-82/AL-6 until you arrive at the venue (There will be Sign by the workshop venue.
If you have any confusion about the venue or driving direction, please contact Mr. Jeffery Moore at (334) 421-1580.
For further information, contact:
1. Dr. Uma Karki - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: (334)727-8336 (Office), (334) 421-2139 (Cell);
2. Mr. Jeffery Moore – Email: email@example.com, Phone: (334) 421-1580;
3. Ms. Yvonne Wright – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: (334) 724-4440; or
4. Tuskegee University County Extension Agents in your area.