Adelia C. Bovell-Benjamin
EDUCATION / TRAINING
2010, Certificate, Measuring Health Disparities, University of Michigan, MI
2006, Certificate, Leadership Development Fanning Institute of Leadership, University of Georgia, GA
2005, Certificate, Qualitative Research, Burke Institute, Cincinnati, OH
1998, PhD Nutrition, Designated Emphasis, International Nutrition, Minor Epidemiology, University of California, Davis – Davis, CA
1991, MS Nutritional Science, Brooklyn College of the City University of New York, NY
1984, BS Food and Nutrition, Queens College of the City University of New York, NY
POSITION / EMPLOYMENT
2010 to date: Research Professor, Food and Nutritional Sciences, Tuskegee University, Tuskegee, AL
2004-2009: Associate Professor, Food and Nutritional Sciences, Tuskegee University, Tuskegee, AL
2000-2004: Assistant Professor, Food and Nutritional Sciences, Tuskegee University, Tuskegee, AL
2000-2010: Team Leader, Food Processing and Product Development Team, NASA / Center for Food and Environmental Systems for Human Exploration of Space (CFESH), Tuskegee
1995-1998: Instructor, African and African American Studies Program and University Extension, University of California, Davis.
1998-2000: Lecturer (part-time), Department of Agricultural Economics, Faculty of Agriculture, University of the West Indies, Trinidad and Tobago
1998-2000: Community/Public Health Nutritionist, Tobago Regional Health Authority, Tobago
1998-2000: Nutrition Consultant, Policy Research and Development Institute, Tobago, Trinidad and Tobago
2010, Institute of Food Technologists - 2010 Section Outstanding Volunteer Award (Hall of Honor)
2009, Faculty of the Year Performance Award, Tuskegee University, Tuskegee
2008, Russell Brown Award for Excellence in Research. Tuskegee University Chapter of Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society
2006, HENS (Hunger and Environmental Nutrition, Dietetic Practice Group, American Dietetic Association) Diversity Leadership Challenge (Winner)
2003, Outstanding Faculty Performance Award in Research, Tuskegee University
2002, United States Department of Agriculture Fellow, Washington, D.C.
2002, Invited Food Science Expert, Advanced Food Technology Workshop, Space and Life Sciences, Directorate, Habitability and Environmental Factors Divison, Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX
CAREER IMPACTS AND INNOVATIONS
- Development of curricular materials for two classes taught:"Food Product Innovation, Research and Sensory Evaluation”, "International Nutrition: Problems and Policies"
- Technical Peer Reviewer: Journal of Health and Place, Nutrition and Metabolism, Chronic Disease Prevention, Journal of Food Science, Journal of Food Chemistry and Agriculture, African Journal of Nutrition, Agriculture and Plant Science, Journal of the American Dietetic Association, LWT – Food Science, Ecology of Food and Nutrition, Journal of Health Geographics, Journal of Healthcare for the Poor and Underserved
- Peer-Review Panelist – United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Chair, 2nd (2006 IFNC) & 3rd (2011 IFNC) International Food and Nutrition Conferences
SELECTED PEER-REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- Bovell-Benjamin, AC, Dawkins, N., Pace, RD, Shikany, J. (2010). Dietary consumption practices and cancer risk in African-Americans in the rural south. J health Care Poor Underserved 21:57-75.
- Bovell-Benjamin, AC, Dawkins, N., Pace, RD, Shikany, J. (2009). Use of focus groups to understand African-Americans’ dietary practices: Implications for modifying a Food Frequency Questionnaire. Prev Med 48, 549-554.
- Bovell-Benjamin, AC, CS, Hathorn, S. Ibrahim, Gichuhi, P., EM, Bromfield. (2009). Healthy food choices and physical activity opportunities in two contrasting Alabama cities. J Health Place 15, 429-438.
- P.N. Gichuhi, D. Mortley, E. Bromfield, A.C. Bovell-Benjamin. (2009). Nutritional, physical, and sensory evaluation of hydroponic carrots (Daucus carota L.) from different nutrient delivery systems. J Food Sci S403-S412.
- Bovell-Benjamin, AC. (2009). Bioactivity, benefits and safety of traditional and ethnic foods In: ensuring global food safety: exploring global harmonization. Boisrobert, C., Stjepanovic, A., Oh, S., Lelieveld, H. (eds.). Nova Science Publishers, NY, USA.
- Bovell-Benjamin, AC., Bromfield, E. (2009). Nutrition and bioavailability: sense and nonsense of nutrition labeling. In: ensuring global food safety: exploring global harmonization. Boisrobert, C., Stjepanovic, A., Oh, S., Lelieveld, H. (eds.). Nova Science Publishers, NY, USA.
- Bovell-Benjamin, AC. (2009). Sweetpotato utilization in human health, industry and animal feed systems. In: Ray, RC, Tomlins, KI (Eds.). Sweet potato: Postharvest aspects in food feed and industries. Nova Science Publishers, NW, USA.
- Hathorn, C.S., Biswas, M.S., Gichuhi, P.N., Bovell-Benjamin, A.C. (2008). Comparison of chemical, physical, micro-structural and microbial properties of breads supplemented with sweetpotato flour and high-gluten dough enhancers. LWT: Food Science and Technology 41, 803-815.
- Bovell-Benjamin, AC. Hathorn, C., Gichuhi, P. (2008). Using sweetpotato peels in breadmaking as a source of dietary fiber for space diets. Paper 2008-01-2177. Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). Warrendale, PA.
- Peter N. Gichuhi, Chellani S. Hathorn, Desmond Mortley, Adelia C. Bovell-Benjamin. (2008). Evaluation of nutritional properties and consumer acceptance of hydroponic carrots (Daucus carota L.) grown under different light intensities and CO2 concentrations. Paper 2008-01-2173. Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). Warrendale, PA.
- C.S. Hathorn, A.C. Bovell-Benjamin. (2008). Identification of styrene and hexanol during baking of sweetpotato bread in a closed chamber. Paper 2008-01-2176. Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). Warrendale, PA.
- S.P. McDonald, P.N. Gichuhi, D. Mortley, A.C. Bovell-Benjamin. (2008). Evaluation of amylose/amylopectin, dietary fiber, sugar and vitamin C in two processed and unprocessed hydroponic sweetpotato cultivars. Paper 2008-01-2174. Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). Warrendale, PA.
- T.R. Murphy, B.C. Datari, K.K. Srivastava, A.C. Bovell-Benjamin. (2008). Responses pf Zucker Fatty Rats to a Sweetpotato [Impomea batatas (L) Lam] Starch Syrup. Paper 2008-01-2175. Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). Warrendale, PA.
- Bovell-Benjamin, AC. (2007). Sweetpotato: A review of its past, present and future role in human nutrition. Recent Adv Food Nutr Res 52, 1-59.
- Peter N. Gichuhi, Chellani S. Hathorn, Kokoasse Kpomblekou-A, Adelia C. Bovell-Benjamin. (2007). Evaluation of sweetpotatoes grown under different conventional tillage practices. J Aerospace 116, 9-15.
- Ragin C, Taioli E, McFarlene-Anderson N, Avery G, Bennett F, Bovell-Benjamin, AC et al. (2007). African-Caribbean cancer consortium for the study of viral, genetic and environmental cancer risk factors. Infectious Agent Cancer 2:17 doi:10.1186/1750-9378-2-17.
- Adelia C. Bovell-Benjamin, Chellani Hathorn, Peter Gichuhi. (2007). Preparation and characterization of sweetpotato peels for use as dietary fiber enhancement in space foods. Paper 2007-01-3053. Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). Warrendale, PA.
- Cathea M. Simelton-Edgeston, Peter Gichuhi, Joe Kokoasse-Kpomblkekou-A, Adelia Bovell- Benjamin. (2007). Comparative treatments of organically grown sweetpotatoes for use in Space Foods. Paper 2007-01-3052. Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). Warrendale, PA.
- Gichuhi, PN, Hathorn, CS, Mortley, D., Gladney, D., Moultrie, S., Bromfield, E., Bovell-Benjamin, AC. (2006). Physicochemical properties and consumer acceptance of hydroponic carrots (Daucus carota) in an extended screening process. Paper 2006-01-2068. Society for Automotive Engineers (SAE), Warrendale, PA.
- E.Bromfield, D. Gladney, P. Gichuhi, A.C. Bovell-Benjamin. (2006). Effect of storage on the physicochemical properties of a sweetpotato beverage processed by centrifugation. Paper 2006-01-2073. Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). Warrendale, PA.
- C.S. Hathorn, J.E. Mason, J. L. Greene, M.Y. Dansby, P. N Gichuhi, A.C.Bovell-Benjamin. 2006. Measurement of volatile organic compounds from model sweetpotato products using different analytical methods: preliminary findings. Paper 2006-01-3072. Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). Warrendale, PA.
- Elmubarak, E., Bromfield, E., Bovell-Benjamin, AC. (2005). Focused interviews with Sudanese- Americans: Perceptions about diet, nutrition and cancer. Prev Med 40:502-509.
- Bovell-Benjamin, AC., Benjamin, W. (2005). Environmental impacts on diet, nutrition, physical activity and cancer prevention in low-income, rural communities. Michigan State University Vitality Program White Paper. East Lansing, MI. http:www.maes.msu.edu/cvp/bovellbenjamin.pd.