Dr. Shaik Jeelani, P.E.
Shaik Jeelani, Ph.D., P.E.
Vice- President for Research and Dean of Graduate Studies
Director, Center for Advanced Materials
Phone: 334-727-8970, Fax: 334-724-4224
Ph. D 1974, North Carolina State
University, Raleigh, North Carolina
Major: Machine Design, Stress Analysis, Metal
Minor: Mathematics, Engineering Mechanics
Professor of Mechanical
Engineering & Materials Science and Engieering, Tuskegee University, 1980 –
Associate Professor of
Mechanical Engineering, Tuskegee University, 1978 –1980
Assistant Professor of
Mechanical Engineering, Tuskegee University, 1974 –1978
Vice President for Research and Dean of
Graduate Studies, Tuskegee University, 2015-Present
Vice President, Research and
Sponsored Programs, Tuskegee University, 1996-2015
Director, Ph.D. Program in
Materials Science and Engineering, 1998-Present
Director, Center for
Advanced Materials, Tuskegee University, 1977 - Present
Interim Dean, School of
Engineering and Architecture, Tuskegee University, 1992-1994
Aided Design Laboratory (CAD), Tuskegee University, 1984-1996
Associate Dean of Engineering and
Architecture, Tuskegee University, 1981 – 1996
Assistant Dean, of
Engineering and Architecture, Tuskegee University, 1980 – 1981
Mechanical Engineering Department, Tuskegee University, June 1, 1987 - August
31, 1987, June 1, 1982 – July 30, 1983, April 1, 1979 – June 1, 1980, June 1,
1977 – May 31, 1978
Curriculum and Infrastructure
Dr. Jeelani played
a leading role in the development of various curriculums and infrastructure in
the School of Engineering and Architecture. He spearheaded the Infrastructure
and curriculum development in the School of Engineering and Architecture
through a $2.50 million grant from
the Army Research Office. This effort resulted in the university’s obtaining
full (six years) ABET accreditation for all its Engineering programs. He
also wrote the proposal for funding of the first Endowed Chair in Materials
Science and Engineering at Tuskegee University and spearheaded the
development of the curriculum, recruitment of students and establishment of Tuskegee
University’s first Ph.D. program in Materials Science and Engineering.
Division of Research and
Dr. Jeelani is serving
as the first Vice President for Research andDean of Graduate Studies
(2015-Present). Prior to this
appointment, he was Vice President, Research and Sponsored Programs
(1996-2015) at Tuskegee University. The responsibilities include developing
aggressive strategies and plans to increase funding for research and other
sponsored programs and supervising three departments: Sponsored Programs,
International Programs and Grantsmanship and Compliance. As a result of
streamlining the Grants and Contracts
process through development of various Sponsored Programs and
Compliance Guides and publication of Tuskegee’s Research Capability, Funding
for Research and Sponsored Programs at Tuskegee was raised from $23.6
million in 1996 to $48 Million in 2015.
Graphics, Introduction to Engineering, Statics, Dynamics, Applied Mechanics,
Materials Science, Strength and Materials, Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics,
Theory of Machines, Manufacturing Processes, Machine Design, Advanced Machine
Design, Stress Consideration in Design, Experimental Stress Analysis.
layup, vacuum bag, autoclave, compression molding), Process Sensing, low-cost
manufacturing using RTM, VARIM processes, static and dynamic (low-velocity,
high strain rate, ballistic impact) of Fiber Reinforced Composites, Sandwich
Composites, Fatigue and Fracture, Microstructural characterization (SEM,
Optical Microscopy, Thermo-gravimetric Analysis), Structural Analysis, Non
- “Investigations on the Mechanical, Multifunctional and Environmental Behavior of Fiber Reinforced Polymer Nanocomposites for Marine Applications”, Office of Naval Research, $500,000, Mahesh V. Hosur (PI), Shaik Jeelani (Co-PI) (7/2008-9/2011).
- Strengthening the Ph.D. Program in Materials Science and Engineering Program at Tuskegee University, NSF-RISE, 1.0 M, Shaik Jeelani (PI), Mahesh Hosur, Yuanxin Zhou, Vijaya Rangari, Tamara Floyd-Smith (10/2008 to 9/2011).
- “Processing and Performance Evaluation of Fiber Reinforced Polymeric Composites with Carbon Nanotubes/Nanofibers”, Construction Engineering Research Laboratory, $360,000 Mahesh Hosur (PI), Shaik Jeelani (Co-PI), (12/2008-12/2011).
- “Processing and Performance Evaluation of Fiber Reinforced Polymeric Composites with Carbon Nanotubes/Nanofibers”, Construction Engineering Research Laboratory, $425,000 Mahesh Hosur (PI), Shaik Zainuddin, Shaik Jeelani (Co-PI), (12/2008-12/2012).
- Alabama Center for Nanocomposite Materials, NSF-EPSCoR, $3.25 M, Mahesh Hosur (PI), Shaik Jeelani, Vijaya. Rangari, Yuanxin Zhou (Co-PI's), (09/2009-08/2013).
- The NanoBio Science Partnership for Alabama Black Belt Region, National Science Foundation, (09/01/2011-08/31/2016), $10 M, (S. Jeelani (PI), Daniel Boyd, M. V. Hosur, Mohammed Qazi, Carolyn Wallace (Co-PI’s)).
- "NSF-RISE: Enhancement of Research and Educational Infrastructure in Materials Science and Engineering at Tuskegee University," Shaik Jeelani, Heshmat A. Aglan, Jayachandra B. Ramapuram, Legand Burge, Pradosh K. Ray, National Science Foundation, $1.0 M, (11/2011 to 09/2014)
- Collaborative Research: The Tuskegee Alliance to Develop, Implement, Study and Evaluate a Virtual Graduate Education Model for Underrepresented Minorities in STEM. National Science Foundation, Alliances for Graduate Education and the Professoriate-Transformation (AGEP-T) Program, $993,353, (9/1/2014 - 31/01/2018), Shaik Jeelani (PI), Deloris Alexander (Co-PI), Chastity Bradford (Co-PI), Michael Curry (Co-PI), Mohammed A. Qazi (Executive Director & Co-PI)
- NSF-RISE: “Enhancement of Research and Educational Infrastructure in Nanobiomaterials Science and Engineering at Tuskegee University,” PI: Vijaya K. Rangari, Co-PI: Mahesh Hosur, Shaik Jeelani, Shaik Zainuddin, Temesgen Samuel. $1,000,000, 4/1/2015 to 3/31/2018.
- S. Zainuddin, T. Arefin, M. V. Hosur, J.D. Tyson, Ashok Kumar, J. Trovillion, S. Jeelani, “Recovery and Improvement in low-velocity impact properties of E-glass/epoxy composites through novel self-healing technique,” Composite structures, Vol. 108, 2014, pp. 277-286.
- Md. Nuruddin, Mahesh V. Hosur, Md. Jamal Uddin, David Baah, Shaik Jeelani, “A Novel Approach for Extracting Cellulose Nanofibers (CNFs) from Lignocellulosic Biomass by Ball Milling Combined with Chemical Treatment,” accepted for publication on September 28, 2015.
- M. E. Hossain, M. K. Hossain, M. V. Hosur, S. Jeelani, “Effect of Dispersion Conditions on the Thermal and Mechanical Properties of Carbon Nanofiber–Polyester Nanocomposites,” Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, July 2015, Vol. 137/31005:1-9.
- Md. Nuruddin, Raju Gupta, Alfred Tcherbi-Narteh, Mahesh Hosur, Shaik Jeelani, “Synergistic Effect of Graphene Nanoplatelets and Nanoclay on Epoxy Polymer Nanocomposites,” Advanced Materials Research Vol 1119 (2015) pp 155-159, doi/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.1119.155.
- Reaz Chowdhury, Mahesh Hosur, Md. Nuruddin, Alfred Tcherbi-Narteh, Ashok Kumar, Veera Boddu, Jonathan Trovillion and Shaik Jeelani, “Self-Healing epoxy composite- Preparation, characterization and healing performance,” Journal of Materials Research and Technology, 2015, 4(1), pp. 33-43, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmrt.2014.10.016.
- Dereca Watkins, Md. Nuruddin, Mahesh Hosur, Alfred Tcherbi-Narteh and Shaik Jeelani, “Extraction and Characterization of Lignin from Different Biomass Resources,” Journal of Materials Research and Technology, 2015, 4(1), pp. 26-32, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmrt.2014.10.009.
- Muhammad M. Rahman, Mahesh Hosur, Kuang-Ting Hsiao, Landon Wallace, Shaik Jeelani, “Low velocity impact properties of carbon nanofibers integrated carbon fiber/epoxy hybrid composites manufactured by OOA-VBO process,” Composite Structures, Vol. 120, February 2015, pp. 32-40.
- Muhammad A. Imam, M.G. Gomes, Eesperidiana.A.B. Moura, Shaik Jeelani and Vijay.K.Rangari, “Electron-beam irradiation effect on thermal and mechanical properties of Nylon-6 nanocomposite fibers infused with Diamond and Diamond coated Carbon Nano Tubes”, International Journal of Nanoscience-2015(In print)
- Md. Reza-E-Rabby, Shaik Jeelani, Vijaya K. Rangari, “Structural Analysis of Polyhedral Oligomeric Silsesquioxane (POSS) coated SiC Nanoparticles and Their Applications in Thermoset Polymers”, J. Nanomaterials-2015.
- Boniface Jabik Tiimob, Shaik Jeelani, Vijaya Kumar Rangari, Eggshell reinforced biocomposite-an advanced ‘green’ alternative structural material, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol 133, Issue 11, 2015, 2656
- B.Tiimob, V. Apalangya, T. Samuel, S. Jeelani, V. Rangari, Synthesis, characterization and in vitro cytotoxicity assessment of eggshell-derived β-CaSiO3 nano biomaterial, British Journal of Applied Science and Technology, 8(2): 180-193, 2015, Article no.BJAST.2015.196
- Md. Reza-E-Rabby, Shaik Jeelani, Vijaya K. Rangari Microwave processing of SiC nanoparticles infused polymer composites: Comparison of thermal and mechanical properties, , J. Applied Polymer Science 132, 12, 2015.
- Muhammad A. Imam, M.G. Gomes, Eesperidiana.A.B. Moura, Shaik Jeelani and Vijay.K.Rangari, “Electron-beam irradiation effect on thermal and mechanical properties of Nylon-6 nanocomposite fibers infused with Diamond and Diamond coated Carbon Nano Tubes”, International Journal of Nanoscience, 15, 1-2, 1650004-12,2016.
- Boniface Jabik Tiimob, Shaik Jeelani, Vijaya Kumar Rangari, Eggshell reinforced biocomposite-an advanced ‘green’ alternative structural material, Journal of Applied Polymer Science- 2016, 133, 43124.
- Shatori Meadows, Mahesh Hosur, Alfred Tcherbi-Narteh and Shaik Jeelani, “Rheological and Cure Kinetics Studies of PET-based Unsaturated Polyester Resin,” Journal of Advanced Materials, Feb. 2016, Vol. 1, pp. 84-99.
Honors and Award
- Elected Fellow of American Society for Mechanical Engineers, July 2012
- Recipient of Presidential Award for Mentorship from President Barack Obama at the White House in April 2012
- Global Messenger Award presented by Southeastern Consortium for Minorities in Engineering (SECME), 2001
- Outstanding Contribution Award by the National Association of Minority Program Administrators (NAMEP A), 1996
- Exxon Foundation Faculty Development Award for Outstanding Research, 1984.
- Outstanding Teacher from ME Department, 1978-1979
- Outstanding Teacher from School of Engineering, 1977-1978
- Outstanding Teacher from ME Department, 1977-1978
- Faculty Achievement Award, 1977
- Outstanding Teacher from School of Engineering, 1977
- UNCF Professor of the Year, 1976
- Tuskegee Teacher of the Year, 1976
- Outstanding Teacher from ME Department, 1975-1976