Dr. Shaik Zainuddin
Shaik Zainuddin, Ph.D.
Materials Science and Engineering
100 Chappie James Center
Tuskegee University, Tuskegee, AL 36088
(a) Professional Preparation
Ph. D., Materials Science & Engineering, Tuskegee
University, Alabama, USA, 2009
M. S.., Mechanical Engineering, Tuskegee University, Alabama, USA,
B.E., Mechanical Engineering, Osmania University, India, 2002
Assistant Professor, Materials Science and Engineering, Tuskegee
University, AL. June 2011- Present
Research Assistant Professor, Materials Science and Engineering, Tuskegee
University, AL. June 2010- May 2011
Research Associate, Materials Science and Engineering, Tuskegee University, AL.
May 2009- May 2010
Instructor, Mechanical Engineering, Tuskegee University, AL, Jan-Dec. 2008
(c) Other Major Positions Involving Management Responsibilities
(d) Research Interests
- President: Sigma Xi (Tuskegee University Chapter), 2013-2015
- Director: TU MSE-REU Program, 2013-2016
- Scientific Committee Member- NANOStruc, 2012-present
- Editorial Board Member: International Journal of Materials Engineering, Journal of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science (JCEMS), Journal of Research Updates in Polymer Science (JRUPS), Austin Journal of Nanomedicine and Nanotechnology
Experimental Mechanics and Stress Analysis, Composite Materials and
Sandwich Structures, Nanomaterials and Nanocomposites, Durability and Life
prediction of NanoBio Composites, Alignment of Nanoparticles, Finite Element
Methods and Analysis, Computational Mechanics, Self-healing of Polymeric
(e) Courses Taught
MENG 211-Statics, MENG 310- Experimental Mechanics Laboratory, MENG 316-
Strength of Materials, MENG 318- Introduction to Materials Engineering, MENG
319- Advanced Materials Laboratory, MENG 420-Computer Aided Design, MSEG 516-
Advanced Strength of Materials, MSEG 518/690MS/610- Advanced Materials
Engineering, MSEG 613- Mechanical Behavior of Materials.
(f) Funded Grants as PI
(g) Book Chapters
- Research Initiation Award Grant: Enhancement of Research and Education in Computational Nanomechanics and Nanoscale Testing at Tuskegee University, (08/01/14-07/31/2016), $199,862.00, (Shaik Zainuddin (PI)), National Science Foundation.
- Durability Study of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymeric Nanocomposites for Air Force Applications, (09/1/2013-08/31/2017), $398,011, (Shaik Zainuddin (PI), Mahesh Hosur and Vijay Rangari (Co-PIs), AFRL/Clarkson Aerospace.
- REU SITE: Tuskegee University Research Experience for Undergraduates in Nano-Bio Materials Science and Engineering, (03/01/2014-08/31/2017), $330,000, (Shaik Zainuddin (PI), Mahesh Hosur (Co-PI)), National Science Foundation.
- S. Zainuddin, M. V. Hosur, M. A. Aleem, “Thermoset Resin Sandwich Stuctures,” Lightweight Composite Structures in Transport: Design, Manufacturing, Analysis and Performance, Editor: James Njuguna. ISBN: 9781782423256, Woodhead Publishing (2016).
- S. Zainuddin, M. V. Hosur, Ashok Kumar, Jonathan Trovillion, S. Jeelani, “Durability Enhancement of Fiber Reinforced Composites Using Nanoclay,” Advanced fiber-reinforced polymer (FRP) composites for structural applications, Editor: Jiping Bai, ISBN-13: 978-08-5709-418 6, Woodhead Publishing Series in Civil and Structural Engineering 46 (2013).
- Shaik Zainuddin, Mahesh Hosur, Ashok Kumar and Shaik Jeelani, “Effects of ultraviolet radiation and condensation on static and dynamic compressive behavior of nanophased glass/ epoxy composites,” FRP Composites and Sustainability, Editor: Ravi Jain, Luke Lee. ISBN 978-94-007-2356-6, Springer Dordrecht Heidelberg London New York.
- Hassan Mahfuz, Shaik Zainuddin, Mohammed F. Uddin, Vijaya K. Rangari and Shaik Jeelani, “Fatigue of pure and nanophased sandwich composites under shear loading,” Sandwich Structures 7: Advancing with Sandwich Structures and Materials, Springer Netherlands (2006) 183-192.
(h) Recent Journal and Conference Publications (last three years)
- M.M. Rahman, M. Hosur, S. Zainuddin, N. Jahan, E.B. Miller-Smith, S. Jeelani, “Enhanced tensile performance of epoxy and e-glass/epoxy composites by randomly oriented amino-functionalized MWCNTs at low contents,” Journal of Composite Materials 2015, Vol. 49(7) 759–770
- S. Zainuddin, A. Fahim, M.V. Hosur, M.M. Rahman, S. Jeelani, “Optimization of mechanical and thermo-mechanical properties of epoxy and E-glass/epoxy composites using NH2-MWCNTs, acetone solvent and combined dispersion methods,” Composite Structures 110 (2014) 39-50.
- S. Zainuddin, T. Arefin, A. Fahim, M. V. Hosur, J.D. Tyson, Ashok Kumar, J. Trovillion, S. Jeelani, “Recovery and improvement in low-velocity impact properties of e-glass/epoxy composites through novel self-healing technique,” Composite Structures 108 (2014) 277-286.
- M. M. Rahman, S. Zainuddin, M. V. Hosur, C. J. Robertson, Ashok Kumar, Jonathon Trovillion, S. Jeelani, “Effect of NH2-MWCNTs on Crosslink Density of Epoxy Matrix and ILSS Properties of E-glass/Epoxy Composites,” Composite structures 95 (2013) 213-221.
- M. B. A. Salam, M. V. Hosur, S. Zainuddin, S. Jeelani, “Improvement in Mechanical and Thermo-Mechanical Properties of Epoxy Composite Using Two Different Functionalized Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotubes,” Open Journal of Composite Materials 3 (2013) 1-9.
- Muhammad Rahman, Mahesh Hosur, Shaik Zainuddin, Uday Vaidya, Arefin Tauhid, Ashok Kumar, Jonathan Trovillion, Shaik Jeelani, “Effects of amino-functionalized MWCNTs on ballistic impact performance of E-glass/epoxy composites using a spherical projectile,” International Journal of Impact Engineering 57 (2013) 108–118.
(i) Honors and Awards
- Chukwuma E. Nweke, Shaik Zainuddin, Mahesh Hosur, Vincent Hollowman, Shaik Jeelani, “Processing and Characterization of Carbon Nanotube/Core Shell Siloxane Modified High Temperature Bismaleimide Polymeric Composites,” SAMPE, Long Beach, CA, May 23-26, 2016.
- Farooq Syed, Shaik Zainuddin, Amari Carter, Mackenzie Matthews, Mahesh V. Hosur, Shaik Jeelani, “Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube Added Epon 862 Nanocomposites: Investigating the Crosslinking Behavior and Interfacial Properties Through Molecular Dynamics Simulations,” SAMPE, Long Beach, CA, May 23-26, 2016.
- Shaik Zainuddin, Abdullah Fahim, Shaik Shoieb, Mahesh V. Hosur, Dawen Li, Brittany Terry, Shaik Jeelani, “Jute Bio-Nanocomposites Reinforced with Grafted Halloysite Nanotubes Added PHBV Polymer,” SAMPE, Long Beach, CA, May 23-26, 2016.
- Shaik Zainuddin, Abdullah Fahim, Tauhid Arefin, Mahesh Hosur, Shaik Jeelani, “Mechanical performance of jute/epoxy, glass/epoxy and hybrid jute/glass/epoxy composites,” SAMPE, Seattle, June 2-5, 2014.
- Abdullah Fahim, Shaik Zainuddin, Ema K. Masuma, Jeremiah Tyson, Mahesh V. Hosur, Shaik Jeelani, “Morphological, Thermal and Tensile Properties of Halloysite Nanotubes Filled Poly Hydroxybutyrate-co-Hydroxyvalerate (PHBV) Nanocomposites,” SAMPE, Seattle, June 2-5, 2014.
- Shaik Zainuddin, Tauhid Arefin, Mahesh Hosur, Shaik Jeelani, Ashok Kumar, “Recovery of low-velocity impact properties of glass fiber reinforced composites through self-healing technique,” Proceeding of IMECE2013, ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, San Diego, California, Nov. 15-21, 2013.
(j) Graduate Students
- Outstanding Faculty Performance Award for Research, College of Engineering, Tuskegee University (2013-2014)
- Outstanding Faculty Performance Award for Teaching, College of Engineering and Physical Sciences, Tuskegee University (2010-2011)
- Member of Marquis Who’s Who in North America (2011-2012)
- Selected for Biltmore Who’s Who Among Executive and Professionals (2012)
- Selected for Biltmore Who’s Who Member in North America Education (2012)
- First Place Award at Sigma Xi Student Research Symposium, Tuskegee, AL (2005)
- Graduate Research Scholars Award, Alabama EPSCoR (2008)
- Kamrul Hasan (M.S), Thesis Title: Fire Retardant and Dimensional Stability of Bionanocomposites for Advanced Applications
- Farooq Syed (M.S), Thesis Title: Investigation of Crosslinking and Interfacial Behavior of Epon 862/SWCNT Nanocomposites through Molecular Dynamic Simulations
- Chuckwuma Nweke (M.S. 2015, Ph.D.), M.S. Thesis Title: Processing and Characterization of High Temperature Bismaleimide Polymeric Composites Modified with Core-Shell Siloxane and Carbon Nanotubes, Ph.D. Thesis: Novel Processing and Characterization of Carbon Nanotube Reinforced Carbon Fiber/Bismaleimide Composites for the Air Force Applications
- Maria F. Navarro-Poupard (M.S., 2015), Thesis Title: Investigation of Moisture Absorption, Thermal and Mechanical Properties of Alkali and Silane Treated Jute Fibers
- Fahim Abdallah (M.S., 2014), Thesis Title: Processing and Characterization of PHBV and Jute-PHBV Bionanocomposites with Halloysite Nanotubes
- Masooma Ema Khatoon (M.S., 2014), Thesis Title: Effect of Sodium Bentonite and Halloysite Nanotubes on the Mechanical Properties of EPON 862 Nanocomposites
- Arefin Tauhid (M.S. 2013), Thesis Title: Recovery and Improvement of E-Glass/Epoxy Composite Impact Properties Through Novel Self-Healing Technique
- Muhammed M. Rahman (M.S. 2012), Thesis Title: A Comprehensive Experimental Study of E-Glass/Epoxy Composites Modified with Amine Functionalized MWCNTs