Dr. Vijay Rangari
Vijaya Kumar Rangari, Ph. D
Materials Science and Engineering
Tuskegee University, Tuskegee, AL 36088
phone # 334 724 4875 (Work)
Fax# 334 724 4224
- Ph.D. (1996), Chemistry, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India (Thermodynamic properties of binary non-electrolyte solutions)
- M.Sc. (1990) Chemistry, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India (Polymer)
- 2014-Current: Professor: Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Tuskegee University
- 2010-2014: Research Associate Professor: Center for Advanced Materials, Tuskegee University
- 2001-2010: Research Assistant Professor: Center for Advanced Materials, Tuskegee University
- 1999-2001: Post-Doctoral position, Chemistry Department, Bar-Ilan University, Israel
- 1996-1998: Post-Doctoral position, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
Synthesis of novel hybrid nanoparticles using sonochemical, microwave autogenic pressure reactor techniques.
Extraction of calcium carbonate nanoparticles from natural resources and synthesis of calcium based biocompatible nanoparticles for medical applications
Applications of biomaterials for bone regeneration , wound healing and drug delivery
Fabrication of biodegradable/antimicrobial food packaging polymer films
Synthesis of magnetic nanoparticles for drug delivery, hypothermia and MRI contrasting agents.
Synthesis and surface modification nanoparticles for biomedical applications
Synthesis of CNTs and graphene using First Nano Easy tube-300 CVD technique
Study the growth mechanism of CNTs on carbon and glass fibers
Fabrication of High Strength Polymer Fibers with Aligned Carbon Nanotube
Fabrication of Fiber Reinforced Structure Nanocomposite (VARTM, RTM, Vacuum assistant hand lay-up, Compression molding, Autoclave and Filament winding)
Fabrication of Nanophased Polymeric Foams for light weight applications
Development of Flexible Extremities Protection is using a Shear-thickening Fluid/Fabric Composite
Research Funding as PI
- NSF-MRI: Acquisition of Field a Emission Scanning Electron Microscope for Research and Educational Training in Microscopic Characterization of Nanomaterials, PI: Vijaya K. Rangari, Co-PI: Mahesh Hosur, Clayton Yates, Shaik Zainuddin, and Temesgen Samuel, $ 507,374, 9/15/2015 to 8/31/2018.
- NSF-RISE:“Enhancement of Research and Educational Infrastructure in Nanobiomaterials Science and Engineering at Tuskegee University,” PI: Vijaya K. Rangari, Co-PI: Mahesh Hosur, Shaik Jeelani, Shaik Zainuddin, Temesgen Samuel, $ 1000,000, 4/1/2015 to 3/31/2018.
- CREST Partnership Supplement: Chemical, Structural and Interfacial Characterization of Calcium based nanobiomaterials, PI: Vijaya K Rangari, Co-PI: Nicholas L Abbott, and Paul G Evans, $100,000, 2015- Sept 2016.
- NRT-IGE-Nanomedicine Academy of the Minority Serving Institutions, Subcontract through Northeastern University, Oct 1 2015 to Sept 30th 2016, $ 30,000
- Acquisition of Raman Spectrometer and High temperature & pressure reactor for synthesis and characterization of carbon based hybrid nanoparticles from waste wood” (PI) Vijaya K Rangari funded by DoD $ 192,420. 02-01-2014- 01-31-2015
- Minority Leaders Program, Materials and Manufacturing Nanotechnology Research, PI: Vijaya Rangari and Shaik Jeelani (10-01-2012-11-29-2013) 25,000
- Science and technology center (STC) Center for Energy Efficient Electronics Science (Center for E3S), Sub recipient from the University of California, Berkeley-PI: Vijaya Rangari and Shaik Jeelani (Aug-1st-2010-July 31st 2013) ($ 250,000)
- Monitoring microstructural evolution of Alloy 617 with nonlinear acoustics for remaining useful life prediction; multiaxial creep-fatigue and creep-ratcheting DOE, Co-PI: Vijaya Rangari (TU) $92 962 (2010-2014) with Tasnim Hassan (Co-PI, NC-State, Co-PI) and Cliff J. Lissenden (Penn State, PI)
- Innovative Isotropic Ultra-High Thermal Conductivity Diamond Composite Materials, NSF Phase II SBIR IIP-0750177:NSF-SBIR with Tuskegee University and Performance Polymer Solutions INC (P2SI) PI: Vijaya Rangari and Shaik Jeelani ($104,000) (Jan to Dec 2010)
- Nanocluster Characterization in Volume Holographic Glass Gratings, a proposal by Ondax (Advanced Optical Filter Technology) to NSF-SBIR with Tuskegee University, PI Vijaya K Rangari and Jeelani ($105,000) (July 06 to July 07)
- Lightweight Insulation Materials for On-orbit Thermal Management DoD STTR Topic # MDA04-T021 with Advanced Materials Technology, Inc., Tampa, FL, Proposal # B045-021-0171, Co-PI with Dr.Shaik Jeelani, Akbar G. Fard (AMT) ($100,000) (August 04 to June 05)
- Role of Nitrogen on Nanocrystalline Diamond Nucleation and Growth NSF-SBIR -SUPPLEMENTAL GRANT for CREST PROGRAMS A proposal by Vista Engineering SBIR # 0349769, Tuskegee University, and the University of Alabama in Birmingham (co-PI with Jeelani ($105,375, Jan 05 to Dec 05)
Honors and Awards
- Muhammad M. Rahman, Anil N. Netravali, Boniface J. Tiimob, Vitus Apalangya, Vijaya K. Rangari, Bio-inspired ‘green’ nanocomposite using hydroxyapatite synthesized from eggshell waste and soy protein, Journal of Applied Polymer Science-2016( in press)
- Muhammad A. Imam, M.G. Gomes, Eesperidiana.A.B. Moura, Shaik Jeelani and Vijay.K.Rangari, “Electron-beam irradiation effect on thermal and mechanical properties of Nylon-6 nanocomposite fibers infused with Diamond and Diamond coated Carbon Nano Tubes”, International Journal of Nanoscience, 15, 1-2, 1650004-12,2016.
- Md. Reza-E-Rabby, Shaik Jeelani, Vijaya K. Rangari, “Structural Analysis of Polyhedral Oligomeric Silsesquioxane (POSS) coated SiC Nanoparticles and Their Applications in Thermoset Polymers”, J. Nanomaterials-2015.
- Boniface Jabik Tiimob, Shaik Jeelani, Vijaya Kumar Rangari, Eggshell reinforced biocomposite-an advanced ‘green’ alternative structural material, Journal of Applied Polymer Science- 2016, 133, 43124.
- B. Tiimob, V. Apalangya, T. Samuel, S. Jeelani, V. Rangari, Synthesis, characterization and in vitro cytotoxicity assessment of eggshell-derived β-CaSiO3 nano biomaterial, British Journal of Applied Science and Technology, 8(2): 180-193, 2015, Article no.BJAST.2015.196
- Md. Reza-E-Rabby, Shaik Jeelani, Vijaya K. Rangari Microwave processing of SiC nanoparticles infused polymer composites: Comparison of thermal and mechanical properties, , J. Applied Polymer Science 132, 12, 2015
- Pawar, Kasturi; Mulabagal, Vanisree; Smith, Forrest; Kolli, Chandra; Rangari, Vijaya; Babu, R. Jayachandra, Stability-Indicating HPLC Assay for Lysine-Proline-Valine (KPV) in Topical Formulations, Biomedical Chromatography, 29, 716-721, 2015.
- Jitender Madan, Sushma R. Gundala, Bharat Baruah, Mulpuri Nagaraju, Clayton Yates,Timothy Turner, Vijay Rangari, Donald Hamelberg, Michelle D. Reid, and Ritu Aneja,Cyclodextrin Complexes of Reduced Bromonoscapine in Guar Gum Microspheres Enhance Colonic Drug Delivery, Mol. Pharmaceutics 2014, 11, 4339−4349
- M. M. Rahman, A. N. Netravali, B. J. Tiimob, and V. K. Rangari, Bioderived “Green” Composite from Soy Protein and Eggshell Nanopowder, ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng., Articles ASAP (As Soon As Publishable) Publication Date (Web): September 2, 2014 (Research Article)DOI: 10.1021/sc5003193
- Boniface J. Tiimob, Vijaya K. Rangari, Shaik Jeelani, Effect of Reinforcement of Sustainable ?-CaSiO3 Nanoparticles in Bio-based Epoxy Resin System. J. Appl.Polym. Sci. 2014, 131, 40867. DOI: 10.1002/APP.40867
- Tarig A. Hassan, Vijaya K. Rangari and Shaik Jeelani, “Value added Bio-polymer nanocomposites from waste eggshell based CaCO3 nanoparticles as fillers” ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 2014, 2 (4), 706–717 .
- Vitus Apalangya, Vijaya Rangari, Boniface Tiimob, Shaik Jeelani and Temesgen Samuel, “Development of antimicrobial water filtration hybrid material from bio source calcium carbonate and silver nanoparticles” Applied surface science, 295, 108-114, 2014,
- Myisha Roberson, Vijaya Rangari, Shaik Jeelani, Temesgen Samuel and Clayton Yates “Synthesis and Characterization of Silver, Zinc oxide and Hybrid silver/zinc oxide nanoparticles for antimicrobial applications” Nanolif, Published: 20 February 2014. 10.1142/S1793984414400030.
- Deloris Alexander, Desire Richardson, Lakisha Odom, Kara Cromwell, DeJuana Grant, Micoya Myers, Eddy Cadet, Hamid Mahama, Vijaya Rangari, Ralphenia Pace, Ramble Ankumah, Kokoasse Kpomblekou-A, and Curtis Fluker, The Biological Consequences of Kaolin Geophagia, Professional Agricultural Workers Journal, 2, 2, 2014.
- Vijaya K. Rangari Mohammed Yousuf and Shaik Jeelani, Synthesis and characterization of SiC/Si3N4 hybrid nanoparticles and their applications in polymer single fibers, J.Composites, 2013, Article ID 462914, 11 pages, 10.1155/2013/462914.
1996-1998: Council of Scientific and Industrial Research Fellowship, (A prestigious award from the Government of India)
2008: Name inclusion in Who's Who in America, 2008
2010: Outstanding Researcher’s Award Tuskegee University
2012: Tuskegee University Chapter of Sigma Xi, Russell Brown Award for Excellence in Scientific Research. For the year 2012
2015: Faculty Achievement Award, Tuskegee University
- Myisha Roberson (Ph.D)- 2014 summer, Research topic: The Utilization of Bio-Based Calcium Carbonate Nanoparticles As Drug Delivery Vectors for a Novel Wound Healing Therapy (Co-advisor, Dr.Claton Yates)
- Chinedu Okoro (Ph.D)- 2014 summer, Research topic: “Synthesis of Graphene/Ag Hybrid nanoparticles for Multifunctional woven carbon fiber nanocomposites”
- Vitus Apalangya (Ph.D), “Biocompatible polymer/hydroxyapatite electrospun fibers for bioengineering scaffold applications” Materials Science and Engineering, May 2014
- Diane Render (Ph.D), “ Development of colon 5-FU delivery system using Bio-Based calcium carbonate nanoparticles” Materials Science and Engineering, May 2014
- Nydeia, W. Bolden (Ph.D) “Synthesis of magnetic nanoparticles for drug delivery Applications” Materials Science and Engineering, May 2011.
- Wanda, D. Jones (Ph.D) “Thermal and mechanical properties of POSS coated expandable thermoplastic nanocomposites”, Materials Science and Engineering, May-2009
- Tarig, A. Hassan (Ph.D) “Synthesis, fabrication, thermal and mechanical characterization of eggshell based bio-nanocomposites”, Materials Science and Engineering, May -2010
Student Co-advised with Dr. Clayton Yates-Biology
- Samia Islam, Synthesis of biodegradable and antimicrobial active thin films for food packaging applications, M.S., Materials Science and Engineering, Summer 2015
- Mohammad Imam (M.S), 2014 summmer,
- Research Topic: Comparative study of bio waste derived SiO2 nano-particles and their effect as filler in BIOPLAST polymer
- Jamal Uddin (M.S), 2014 summer,
- Research Topic: Effect of mechanochemically and sonochemically modified natural fillers on biobased epoxy
- Boniface, Tiimob (M.S), “Synthesis of Bio-based Calcium silicate nanoparticles for biological and polymer reinforcement applications, May-2014.
- Diana Render, Biobased calcium carbonate from drug delivery applications
- M.S., Materials Science and Engineering, May 2013
- Akurugu Emmanuel Synthesis of Graphene Nanoplateles and their use as fillers in Thermoset Polymers”, M.S. Mechanical Engineering, May 2012.
- Arifa Parveen, “Controlled crystal growth of iron oxide nanoparticles for drug delivery applications”, M.S., Mechanical Engineering, August 2011.
- James L. Davis, “Synthesis and characterization of SiC/SiO2 Hybrid nanoparticles and their applications in thermoplastic polymers”M.S., Mechanical Engineering, May 2011.
- Abiola, M.K. Gaines, “Synthesis and characterization of PMMA/SiO2 nanocomposites and their applications”, M.S., Mechanical Engineering, August 2011.
- AKM Samsur Rahman, “In-situ growth of CNTs on woven fabric for structural applications,” M.S., Mechanical Engineering, May 2010.
- Reza-E-Rabby, “Synthesis and Characterization of POSS coated SiC hybrid nanoparticles and their applications”, Mechanical Engineering, M.S., August 2010.
- Ghouse, M. Mohammed, “Synthesis and Fabrication of Nylon-6 nanocomposite fibers for antimicrobial, and UV absorbing applications”, M.S., Mechanical Engineering, May 2009.
- Mohammad, S. Buyan, “Comparative Study of Thermal and Microwave Cured Nanocomposite Materials”, M.S., Mechanical Engineering, August 2008.
- Sachita Dey, “Microwave Synthesis and Decoration of Metal and Metal Alloy Nanoparticles on CNTs and Their Effect on Thermoset Polymer Composites”, M.S., Mechanical Engineering, August 2008.
- Mohammed Y.Shaik, “Alignment of acicular nanoparticles in polymer filaments and its thermal and mechanical characterization” M.S., Mechanical Engineering, May 2008.
- Tarig, A.Hassan,“Synthesis and characterization of shear thickening fluid for body armor applications” M.S., Mechanical Engineering, May 2008.
- Sameera Zainuddin, “ Synthesis of protein coated gold nanoparticles for prostate cancer diagnosis”, M.S., Biology, May 2012
- Myisha, N. Roberson, “Profiling and Characterization of Silver, Zinc Oxide and Hybrid Silver Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles for antimicrobial and properties” M.S., Biology May 2012