Chemical Engineering Faculty – Shamim A. Begum
Shamim A. Begum
Assistant Professor of Chemical Engineering
Tuskegee University, Tuskegee, AL 36088
Phone: (334) 727-8795
Fax: (334) 724-4188
Tuskegee University Energy and Environmental Research Unit
Ph.D. 2009 Environmental Engineering University of Nevada Las Vegas (UNLV), USA
M.Sc. 2003 Sanitary Engineering UNESCO-IHE institute for Water Education, Delft, The Netherlands
M.E. 2001 Environmental Engineering Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh
B.Sc. 1997 Civil Engineering Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh
June 2010 - Present Assistant Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering, Tuskegee University
Aug. 2009 – Sep. 2010 Instructor, Department of Chemical Engineering, Tuskegee University
Aug. 2004 – Dec. 2006 Teaching Assistant, Civil & Environmental Engg. Dept., University of Nevada Las Vegas
2007-2009 Program Assistant, Clark County Water Reclamation District, Las Vegas
1999-2001 Assistant Engineer, Department of Public Health Engineering, Dhaka, Bangladesh
1998-1999 Junior Engineer, House of Consultant Ltd., Dhaka, Bangladesh
• Biological treatment of wastewater for nutrient and cyanide removal.
• Microbial population dynamics in biological nutrient removal (BNR) system.
• Physico-chemical processes for water and wastewater treatment.
Material and Energy Balances-CENG 0210
Fluid Mechanics-CENG 0220
Unit Operations Laboratory I-CENG 0320 (i.e. Fluid Mechanics & Heat Transfer)
Introduction to Biochemical Engineering-CENG 0400
Bioseparation Engineering-CENG 415
Environmental Engineering Fundamentals -CENG 450
Industrial Pollution and Abatement Processes – CENG 460
Senior Design Project – CENG 490
• American Water Works Association
• American Society for Engineering Education
• Water Environment Federation
• Carollo Engineers Graduate Scholarship, 2008.
• Nevada Power Fellowship, 2006-2007.
• Graduate and Professional Student Association (GPSA) grant of UNLV, 2005, 2007 and 2008.
• Graduate Research Training (GREAT) Assistantship, 2005.
• Fellowship of the Netherlands Fellowship Programme (NFP), 2001 to 2003.
Presentations at conferences/ professional meetings:
- Shamim A. Begum, Nosa O. Egiebor. "Generation and Characterization of Nano-sized Particles from Bone Char”, Abstract was submitted for the Conference of Nanomaterials for Industry-2014, Energy, Environment and Products, April 7-9, 2014, San Diego, California.
- A. H. M. G. Hyder, Shamim A. Begum, Nosa O. Egiebor. "Sorption studies of Cr(VI) from aqueous solution using bio-char as an adsorbent", Abstract was accepted in the SETAC North America 34th Annual Meeting in Nashville, TN, Nov 17-20, 2013.
- Begum, S.A., Vahdat, N. and Egiebor, N. O. Generation and Characterization of Nano-sized Bone Char and Its Application for Water Treatment. Presented at 2iE-Tuskegee summer school in Burkina Faso, West Africa, June 11-21, 2012.
- S. A. Begum, N. Vahdat, and N.O. Egiebor. Arsenic Removal from Aqueous Solution using Nano-Sized Bone Char. Presented at the Prairie View A & M University/Texas A & M University Professional Development Conference at Houston, TX, May 17-20, 2012.
Y. Maiga, S. A. Begum, R. Shange, R Ankumah and N.O. Egiebor. Biodegradation of Cyanide Compounds in Aqueous Solution by Pseudomonas Strains. Presented at the NOBCChE (National Organization of Black Chemist and Chemical Engineers) Southeast Regional Meeting at Auburn, AL, November 11-12, 2011.
S. A. Begum, J.R. Batista, and W. Shepherd. Impacts of Denitrification on Biological Phosphorus Removal using Several Carbon Source Types. In Proceedings of the 82nd annual Water Environment Federation Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC), Orlando, Florida, October 10-14, 2009.
S. A. Begum, J.R. Batista, and W. Shepherd. Impacts of Denitrification on Biological Phosphorus Removal using Several Carbon Source Types. Presented at the NWEA (Nevada Water Environment Association) annual conference at Las Vegas, NV, April 14-16, 2009.
S. A. Begum. The Influence of Carbon Types and Nitrate on the Performance of an Enhanced Biological Phosphorus Removal System. Poster presented in the Graduate and Professional Student Research Forum, UNLV, Las Vegas, March 29, 2008.
S. A. Begum. Identification of Polyphosphate Accumulating Organisms (PAOs) and Glycogen Accumulating Organisms (GAOs) in an EBPR System using Various Carbon Sources to Recognize the Failure of the System. Poster presented in the Graduate and Professional Student Research Forum, UNLV, Las Vegas, March 31, 2007.
- Shamim A. Begum. Jacimaria R. Batista, “Impact of Butyrate on Microbial Selection in Enhanced Biological Phosphorus Removal”. Environmental Technology, 35(23): 2961-72, 2014. doi: 10.1080/ 09593330.2014.927531.
- AHM Golam Hyder, Shamim A. Begum, Nosa O. Egiebor, “Sorption Studies of Cr (VI) from Aqueous Solution Using Bio-char as an Adsorbent”. Water Science and Technology, 69 (11): 2265-2271, 2014. doi:10.2166/wst.2014.143.
- Abdoul-Raimi Bouari, Shamim A. Begum, Nosa O. Egiebor, “Bioremediation of Complex Cyanide Contaminated Wastewater using Pseudomonas Fluorescens Pf-5”. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology, 2 (9):1485-1493, 2013. ISSN: 2278-0181. www.ijert.org.
- Abdoul-Raimi Bouari, Shamim A. Begum, Ynoussa Maiga, Nosa O. Egiebor, "Biodegradation of Cyanide Complex Compounds in Aqueous Media by Pseudomonas Resinovorans". Environmental Engineering Science, 30 (12): 757-764, 2013.
- Shamim A. Begum, Jacimaria R. Batista, “Impacts of Carbon Source Addition on Denitrification and Phosphorus Uptake in Enhanced Biological Phosphorus Removal Systems”. Journal of Environmental Science and Health: Part A, 48: 464-473, 2013.
- Begum, S. and Batista, J. R. “Microbial Selection on Enhanced Biological Phosphorus Removal Systems Fed Exclusively with Glucose”. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 28, 5, 2181-2193, 2012.
Begum, S. A. and Batista, J. R. “Impact of Butyrate on Microbial Selection in Enhanced Biological Phosphorus Removal”. Submitted in the journal of Process Biochemistry.
Begum, S. A. and Batista, J.R. “Impacts of carbon source addition on denitrification and phosphorus uptake in enhanced biological phosphorus removal systems”. Accepted for publication in the Journal of Environmental Science and Health: Part A in July 2012. Manuscript # A-3261.
S. A. Begum, J.R. Batista, and W. Shepherd, “Impacts of Denitrification on Biological Phosphorus Removal using Several Carbon Source Types”. In Proceedings of the 82nd annual Water Environment Federation Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC), Orlando, Florida, October 10-14, 2009.
B. Petrusevski, S. K. Sharma, E. Hossain, S. A. Begum, J. C. Schippers, “Field Testing of IHE Arsenic Removal Filter in Bangladesh.” Proceedings of the International Water Association (IWA) Asia-Pacific Regional Conference, Bangkok, Thailand, October 20-22, 2003.
S. A. Begum and M. A. Ali, “Estimation of Arsenic Affected Population in Bangladesh,” Proceedings of the First International Conference and Annual Paper Meet on Civil Engineering, S. M. Seraj, M. A. Ali and B. Ahmed eds., Organized by Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh (IEB) and FEISCA, IEB Chittagong Centre, 2-3 November, 2001.