Maria Calhoun, Ph. D.
Phone: 334 727 8974
Fax: 334 727 8090
Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering, Tuskegee University (TU), 2009
M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Tuskegee University, 2000
B.Sc. in Mathematics, Georgia State University, 1995
Aug ’12 – present Adjunct Professor, Materials Science and Engineering, Tuskegee University
Oct ’10 – present Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering, Tuskegee Unviersity
Jun ’11 – Aug ’11 Research Fellow, Center for the Environmental Impact of Nanotechnology (CEINT), Duke University
Oct’ 10 – Aug ‘11 Fellow, Leadership Development Institute, Quality Education for Minorities
Aug ‘09 – Oct ‘10 Instructor, Mechanical Engineering, Tuskegee University
June ’09 – Aug ’09 Research Fellow, DREAM program, Eglin AFB
Feb ’06 – May ’09 Research Assistant, Mechanical Engineering/T-CAM, Tuskegee University
June ’00 – Jan ‘04 Process Engineer, The Procter and Gamble Company
June ’97 – May ’00 Research Assistant, Mechanical Engineering, Tuskegee University
Probability and Statistics for Engineers, Advanced Materials, Viscoelasticity of Materials, Composite and Nano-structured Materials, Thermodynamics
· Functional thin film membranes derived from electrospun fibers
· Effect of environmental conditions properties of nanostructured materials
· Quality improvement systems, Lean Six Sigma
· Educational innovations in STEM
1. M. Calhoun, A. Ludwick, M. Mahmoud and H. Aglan. Electrochemical Impedance and Thermal Characterization of Nano-Reinforced Vinyl Chloride/Vinyl Acetate Coatings. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 119 (8), 15-22, 2011.
2. H. Aglan, S. Shebl, M. Morsy, M. Calhoun, H. Harding, M. Ahmad. Strength and toughness improvement of cement binders using expandable thermoplastic microspheres. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 23 (8), 2856-2861, 2009.
3. M. Calhoun, A. Kumar and H. Aglan. Pulse Laser Degradation of Nanoreinforced Epoxy Systems. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol.113 (5), 3156-3164, 2009.
4. H. Aglan, M. Calhoun, L. Allie. Effect of UV and Hygrothermal Aging on the Mechanical Performance of Polyurethane Elastomers. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol.108 (1), 558-564, 2008.
5. A. Ludwick, H. Aglan, M. Abdalla and M. Calhoun, Degradation Behavior of a UV and Hygrothermal-aged Elastomers: FTIR and DSC Studies. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 110 (2), 712-718, 2008.
1. M. Calhoun, A. Ludwick, A. Allie and H. Aglan, Evaluation of Nanosilicate Filled Poly(vinyl chloride-co-vinyl acetate) and Epoxy Coatings, Poster presentation, 2008 NSTI Nanotechnology Conference and Trade Show, Boston, MA.
2. L. Allie, J. Thorn, M. Calhoun and H. Aglan, Electrochemical Impedance and Thermal Characterization of Nano-Reinforced Vinyl Chloride/Vinyl Acetate Coating, Poster presentation, 2008 NSTI Nanotechnology Conference and Trade Show, Boston, MA.
3. M. Calhoun, L. Allie, A. Allie, H. Aglan and P. Dennig, Nanostructured Polymeric Composites for High Performance Applications Case Study: Fracture Resistance of Baseball Bats, Poster presentation, 2007 NSTI Nanotechnology Conference and Trade Show, Santa Clara, CA.
4. M. Calhoun and H. Aglan, Nanostructured Polymeric Composites for High Performance Applications Case Study: Fracture Resistance of Baseball Bats, Poster presentation, Sigma Xi Conference 2007, Tuskegee University, Tuskegee, AL.
5. A. Aglan, M. Calhoun, A. Ludwick and M.Reeves, Formulation and Evaluation of Nanostructured Coatings for Corrosion Protection, Oral presentation, 2007 NSTI Nanotechnology Conference and Trade Show, Santa Clara, CA.
1. Tuskegee University Outstanding Faculty Performance Award for Teaching in the College of Engineering 2011 – 2012
2. Engineering Teacher of the Year College of Engineering, and Physical Sciences, Tuskegee Business and Engineering Conference, 2011
1. Member, American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
2. Member, American Society for Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
3. Member, Sigma Xi
4. Faculty Advisor, Pi Tau Sigma, Tuskegee University, 2009-2012
5. Faculty Advisor, NSBE, Tuskegee University, 2010-2012
6. Engineering Faculty Committee Chair, Tuskegee University Business and Engineering Conference (TUBE) 2011 and 2012
7. Chair, College of Engineering and Physical Sciences (CEPS) Quality Committee, 2010-2012