45th Conference of the Association of Black Sociologists
Race and Inequality in the Obama Era and Beyond
August 20-22, 2015
The Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel
Call for Submissions
Graduate and Undergraduate Student Paper Competition
The Association of Black Sociologists (ABS) invites submissions for its 2015 graduate and undergraduate student paper competition. Winners in both the undergraduate and graduate tracks will receive the following awards: 1st place = $300, 2nd place = $200, 3rd place = $100.
All papers must be submitted electronically by July 16, 2015 to:
Ray Von Robertson, Ph. D.
Associate Professor of Criminal Justice
University of Louisiana at Lafayette
Manuscripts must not exceed 9,000 words INCLUDING the abstract, references and endnotes. Tables and figures are not included in the word count. Microsoft Word is the required format for submitted manuscripts. Please note: If you have used the "track changes" feature at any point during the composition of your submission, make sure to accept all of the changes before saving the final version that you will upload. All papers should be structured in the following order and as described below:
(1) The Title Page: should consist of (A) Title; (B) Author Names and Affiliations; (C) Word Count; (D) Appropriate Keywords; and (E) Acknowledgements (financial or other assistance, and the name, address, and e-mail address of the primary contact to whom correspondence should be sent).
(2) Abstract: Should contain the objective of the study, a description of the methodology and data used in the study (if applicable), and a summary of the results and conclusion. The abstract should consist of no more than 175 words.
(3) Main Text: 12 pt. Times New Roman, double-spaced with 1-inch margins all around. Include call-outs to tables and figures by indicating in the text where they should be located, such as (Table 1 about here).
(4) Endnotes/Notes: Use only for substantive comments bearing on content. Mark consecutively beginning with numeral 1. Should be in 10 pt. Times New Roman. No footnotes.
(5) Citations and References - Follow Chicago Manual of Style (15th Ed.).
(6) Tables and Figures: Should be included at the end of the main paper (each submission should consist of only 1 file) and limited to a total of 10 (e.g., 5 tables and 5 figures, 7 tables and 3 figures, etc.). Include any notations to tables in the following order and manner:
NOTE: The paper should be submitted as 1 file.