Mission, Objectives & Principles
Goals and Objectives
The School of Veterinary Medicine has worked closely with the other components of the College of Veterinary Medicine, Nursing and Allied Health to develop a statement of purpose which fully epitomizes the mission of the School and of its College. The School fully adopts the following mission statement as exemplifying what it is and what it strives to do.
The mission of the College of Veterinary Medicine, Nursing and Allied Health is to provide an environment which promotes self-directed learning, intellectual curiosity, creativity and critical thinking. Students, faculty and staff are provided with the necessary tools to participate fully in an educational experience which promotes and nurtures teaching, research and service. The College promotes qualitative and lifelong learning assisted by state-of-the-art technology for the global practice of veterinary medicine, nursing, occupational therapy and medical technology. It strives to meet the present and future needs of its diverse population of students, faculty, staff and community. The College operates within a set of guiding principles that espouse the philosophy that professional education thrives in an environment bound by moral and ethical values and devotion to lifelong learning. It recognizes its responsibility to respond to the needs of its students, faculty, staff and community who desire to fulfill their potential in life. The College operates under the concept of shared leadership, openness and trust in order to nurture an environment where all may be heard.
As an integral component of the College, the School is committed to operating according to the following basic principles that are vital to carrying out the vision and mission of its College:
- Learning - We value lifelong learning of the highest quality that responds to the needs of our students.
- Students - We are student- and client-driven. We do everything possible to provide high quality service for our clients. We value students as the primary reason for our existence. We respect their diverse life experiences, value their achievements and appreciate their contributions to our learning environment.
- Employees - We are relevant to peoples’ lives and their community. We highly value all of our faculty, administration, professional support staff and operational personnel. We respect their diverse life experiences, appreciate their contribution to our learning environment, and encourage their individual professional development. We rely on the participation and initiative of every single employee. We respect the value and contribution of each individual and recognize that every job is essential.
- Responsibility and Reliability - We bring a sense of order and identity. We believe employees are accountable for their personal and professional actions as they carry out their assignments. We are all responsible for making learning experiences significant and meaningful for our students and ourselves. We are accountable to each other for the efficient and effective use of our resources. We are accurate and timely. We meet our deadlines. We keep our commitments.
- Excellence - We invite innovation, support creative problem solving and encourage risk-taking. We value teamwork, cooperation and collaboration as part of our continuous improvement efforts.
- Trust, Honesty and Integrity - We honor the trust placed in us to prepare our students for their role as productive health care professionals of the twenty-first century. We recognize everyone’s successes. We are partners who operate with integrity, honesty and a sense of ethics.
- Freedom and Fairness - We communicate openly and honestly. To foster our learning environment, we respect individual rights and the privacy of our fellow employees and students. We encourage dialogue and the free exchange of ideas. We advocate fairness and just treatment for all students and employees.
- Diversity -We celebrate the diversity of our College and pledge to promote and recognize the strengths as reflected in our employees and students. We believe that no one individual is more important than another, and that each of us is important in a unique way. We depend on everyone to accomplish our mission.