The Robert R. Taylor

SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE AND CONSTRUCTION SCIENCE

(TSACS)


HISTORY

The Board of Trustees elevated the departments of Architecture and Construction Science from the College of Engineering, Architecture and Physical Sciences (CEAPS) to the Robert R. Taylor School of Architecture and Construction Science (TSACS) in 2010. The school is named after Robert Robinson Taylor, the first accredited African-American architect, and the first Black to receive an Architecture degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Taylor is credited with developing the school’s program in architecture and was often placed in charge of the day-to-day operation of the school in the absence of founder and first President, Dr. Booker T. Washington. Most buildings on campus built prior to 1932 were designed by Taylor, including the original Chapel, Dorothy Hall (now Kellogg Hotel & Conference Center), Tompkins Hall, The Oaks (Washington’s family home), and White Hall. TSACS is founded on a belief in the power of architecture and construction science to uplift the human condition and give form to society‘s highest aspirations. Students are prepared to become citizen architects and builders - community leaders who provide a vision of a better-built environment. 

Mission

Our mission is to develop skilled professionals who are capable of playing active roles in shaping communities through the building of meaningful places for all people. As such, our intent is to keep working to help our current and future students to have a competitive advantage that will both distinguish themselves from students at peer institutions and advance their career goals. We also envision a new identity in the minds of alumni and stakeholders to help carry out our mission and the academic rigor to nurture a generation of highly competitive designers and builders.

DEPARTMENTS & PROGRAMS

 

 




CONTACT US

Tuskegee University
Robert R. Taylor School of Architecture and Construction Science
Willcox Building C, Room 115
1200 W. Montgomery Rd.
Tuskegee, Alabama 36088

Email: tsacs@mytu.tuskegee.edu
Voice: (334) 727-8330
Fax: (334) 724-4198

Office of the Dean
Email: ljohnson@mytu.tuskegee.edu
Voice: (334) 727-8014
Fax: (334) 725-5980