A bill passed by the Alabama legislature, signed by Governor Rufus Willis Cobb, became law on February 12, 1881, thus establishing the Tuskegee Normal School for the training of Black teachers. A three-man commission was established to govern the school, which included recruiting and hiring a teacher. Booker T. Washington was recruited and the school was opened on July 4, 1881. On this day, thirty men and women from Macon and neighboring counties gathered to attend Alabama’s first normal school for training Black teachers. Tuskegee Normal School changed to Tuskegee Institute and then to Tuskegee University in 1985.
Tuskegee University is located in Tuskegee, a small rural town in east central Alabama. The University serves a co-educational student body that is racially and ethnically diverse. Distinctive strengths are in the sciences, pure as well as applied, and in professional programs such as teacher education.
Tuskegee University is committed to teacher education and to developing strong partnerships with schools. The University’s 1996-2005 Key Strategic Direction #10 is a commitment to seek improvements in the quality of education of Macon County Public Schools through a strong schools-university partnership.
Key Strategic Direction #10
Excerpt from the Tuskegee University Strategic Plan, 2005, p. 2: To seek improvements in the quality of education of Macon County Public Schools through a strong schools-university partnership that may lay the groundwork for other initiatives, Tuskegee University will develop a ten-year plan (to 2005) to integrate technologies in the learning environment of K-12 schools.