Academic Advising Goals and Objectives
ACADEMIC ADVISING GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
The primary purpose of academic advising is to assist students in their pursuit of meaningful educational programs which will assist them in fulfilling their life goals, including career considerations. Advising assists students in (1) understanding institutional support services available to them, (2) understanding institutional policies and procedures, (3) making decisions based on available information, and (4) examining their progress toward the realization of their goals. Furthermore, advising assists the institution in program and policy development or modification by providing information gained from the relationship between advisors and students.
- Ensure that all students have access to a caring and personal relationship with some "important" person in the college and general community. Encourage the student to take an active part in the course selection from the start with the discussion slowly evolving to the beginning of a self-exploration process.
- Ensure that all students have access to reliable and valid academic advising services at all times throughout the academic year.
- Encourage all students to seek advising from their designated advisor at times other than the peek periods of registration or other major administrative programs.
- Ensure that all academic advisors are providing specific and accurate information.
- Maximize student awareness of short and long range educational goals.
- Facilitate successful attainment of students' educational/career goals.
- Get as many faculty involved in student advising as possible.
- Minimize the frustration of students and faculty during registration and drop-add periods.
- Assist in the retention of students in their academic program.
- Integrate the resources and expertise of professional student services personnel and faculty in the delivery of advising services.
- Prepare and distribute material to assist advisors in providing correct information to students regarding registration procedures, academic regulations, and graduation requirements.
- Ensure that all advisors have access to necessary student records.
- Maintain an on-going, in-service training program for all individuals involved in the delivery of academic advising services.