University to mark 100th anniversary of John A. Andrew Hospital
TUSKEGEE, Ala. (July 15, 2013)— Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site and Tuskegee University Archives will commemorate the 100th anniversary of the John A. Andrew Memorial Hospital July 20 at10 a.m. CST. The program will be held at Tuskegee University’s John A. Kenney Hall, which housed the original hospital and Infantile Paralysis Center.
John A. Andrew Memorial Hospital was dedicated in 1913 and was the result of a gift of the wife of Charles Mason of Boston, a Tuskegee University (then Tuskegee Institute) trustee. The building was named in memory of her grandfather, Gov. John A. Andrew of Massachusetts.
To commemorate this anniversary, Louis Rabb and Linda Kenney Miller will provide remarks on the history of the hospital.Rabb was the first administrator of the John Andrew Hospital as well as the first black hospital administrator in the country. After graduation from Tuskegee Institute, he received a sponsorship from the university to pursue a M.A. degree in personnel administration (1942) from Columbia University. Tuskegee also sponsored his Masters in Health Administration degree from Northwestern University in 1948.
Linda Kenney Miller, the granddaughter of Dr. John A. Kenney, will speak on Dr. Kenney’s many accomplishments. Kenney came to Tuskegee in 1902 and served as a personal physician to both Booker T. Washington and George Washington Carver. He was also the director and surgeon-in-chief of the John A. Andrew Memorial Hospital and School of Nurses until 1922. He overcame several odds including poverty, illiteracy and death threats from the Ku Klux Klan to become one of the most important physicians of his day. Miller is the author of the book “Beacon on the Hill,” a tribute to Kenney.
Anyone who was born at the John A. Andrew Memorial Hospital is invited to take part in a group photograph in front of the current building. The event is free and open to the public. For more information, call 334-727-3200 or visit www.nps.gov/tuin
- Courtesy of Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
© 2013 Tuskegee University