Close this Alert

Close this Alert

Criteria for International Students

INTERNATIONAL applicants must submit the following:

General Requirements:

  1. Button - things you should knowComplete the Admission Application   
  2. Official sealed high school/college transcripts from students from English speaking countries.
  3. Students applying from non-English speaking countries are to submit official high school/college transcripts to either World Education Services (WES) or Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) for translated high school/college transcripts. Students are required to pay the processing fees to WES or ECE. The translated transcript should be mailed directly to Tuskegee University from WES or ECE.
  4. Official transcript from all U.S. colleges or universities attended.
  5. Official results from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); Minimum of 62 (Internet-based) or 500 (Paper-based).
  6. Official ACT or SAT 1 scores.
    • Tuskegee University Codes:
      •     ACT: 0050
      •     SAT 1: 1813
      •     TOEFL: 1813
  7. Financial Affidavit of support and supporting bank letter

Please Note:

  • The application will be evaluated only when all of the required documents have been received.
  • Electronic documents such as email, fax and photocopies are not acceptable.
  • Tuskegee University welcomes applications from prospective students living outside the US. Applying internationally, however, is a bit more complex. International students must meet standards, just as others, for admission. Tuskegee University accepts World Education System (WES) credential evaluations or Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) from non-U.S. schools to evaluate their international transcript. The WES or ECE form is required since their evaluations standardize the various academic credentials from around the world.
  • If you still have questions or need advice, please contact the Tuskegee University Global Office (TUGO).

Test Scores

The American College Test (ACT) or the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) is required of all freshman applicants and undergraduate transfer applicants, who are transferring from universities outside of the United States. Arrangements should be made for the test results to be forwarded directly to the Office of Admissions by the testing agency.

The institution number for the ACT is 0050 and the number for the SAT is 1813.

For information and applications for the ACT, write to: American College Testing Program, Box 168, Iowa City, Iowa 52240, U.S.A or apply online by using the registration form at .

For information and applications for SAT, write to: College Board ATP, Box 592, Princeton, New Jersey 08541, U.S.A or apply online by using the registration form at


Applications from international students will not be considered until all materials, including WES or ECE evaluation, TOEFL, and application fee have been received by the Office of Admissions. All documents and supporting materials must be sent to the Office of Admissions at least three months in advance of the students proposed entrance. 


The international student must have sufficient funds to cover all fees, transportation, and living expenses. Please go to the Bursar's webpage to see the amount needed for admissions. The Office of Admissions has limited funds for scholarships or fellowships and cannot guarantee other forms of financial aid. Therefore, an Affidavit of Support and certified evidence of a sponsor's financial capability must be submitted. Forms are available at the Office of Admissions or from the Tuskegee University web site.

Applying for a Visa Certificate 

In order to enroll at Tuskegee University, you must be a full-time student and will need a student visa. To get a student visa, you will need to provide the required information. Upon your satisfactory completion of your admission application and subsequent acceptance, we will issue you a form I-20 which is needed to apply at a U.S. Consulate for an F-1 Student visa. If you are already in the United States, complete all appropriate documents to apply for a form I-20 to use in support of an application for change of non-immigrant status or to follow the procedure for F-1 Student transfer. Do not submit more than one application; multiple submissions delay processing. Once you submit your application, you must send your supporting documentation. Your accompanying spouse and children may apply for F-2 visas as dependents of F-1 visa holders if funding to meet their additional expenses is available and documented.

To assist you in your planning, this document begins with an overview of the terms of the student visa, focusing on matters of particular concern to incoming students. Also included is information of importance to Canadian citizens and nationals of countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program. You will also find the details of requirements to qualify for a form I-20, information for applicants from countries restricting foreign exchange transactions, and early guidance on what to expect when you apply for an entry visa. We ask you to attend carefully to completing your admissions application and to submitting the appropriate supporting documents.

Visa Certificate Processing

Processing of a new form I-20 takes 10 to 15 days at the Office of Admissions AFTER we have a COMPLETE application. If First Class mail service to your location takes an additional 15 to 23 days, you may expect to receive your form I-20 within 25 to 38 days from the day we receive your request. Few locations worldwide consistently receive First Class mail from Tuskegee, Alabama, in fewer than 10 days. First Class mail to the People's Republic of China (PRC) commonly takes more than 30 days.

We understand that waiting for your I-20 to arrive can be stressful. If you wish to request that we re-send your I-20, you may contact us by e-mail at or telephone at 800-622-6531. We will do so ONLY if we determine there is a reasonable probability that your papers have gone astray. Replicating and re-sending your documents adds to the cost of processing applications and delays preparation of documents for other students. Based on our experience with thousands of mailings, we will consider a request to re-send a form I-20 only after the original I-20 has been in the mail 20 days (30 days for mailings to the PRC) but not received.


There are two immigration-related terms which you will see frequently: "entry visa" and "immigration status". The first term, entry visa, refers to the entry visa affixed or stamped in your passport that permits you to enter the United States. This stamp is obtained at a U.S. Consulate. Your entry visa is used only for entries to the U.S. and may expire during your stay with no repercussions. The second term, immigration status, reflects the most recent notation on your I-94 Arrival/Departure Record, commonly known as the I-94 Card. Your immigration status is generally the same as your entry visa classification: F-1, B-2, J-1, etc. The I-94 Card you receive upon entering the U.S. is proof of immigration status (non-immigrant classification) in the U.S. and specifies the length of time one is permitted to stay. When you arrive in the U.S., the customs or immigration official will retain the Arrival portion of the I-94, make notes concerning the immigration status (non-immigrant classification) on the Departure portion, and either insert or staple the I-94 (Departure) Card into the passport, usually next to the page that holds the corresponding entry visa.

F-1 Student Classification

Those who hold F-1 student visas are normally admitted to the U.S. for "Duration of Status (D/S)" by the Bureau of Customs and Border Protection (BCBP) which is the U.S. government agency responsible for administering regulations related to the entry of non-U.S. citizens. Under the terms of a student visa, you are required to pursue a full-time course of study during the academic year, August through May. For BCBP purposes, Tuskegee University commonly defines full-time study as those registered for 12 or more credits or one Residence Unit each semester.

Students in F-1 status may work on campus part-time (up to 20 hours per week) with the permission of the International Programs Office (IPO). A student may apply for permission to work off campus only after 9 months in F-1 status. This requires the prior written approval of the IPO and the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS). Employment during either the academic year or the summer should not be considered a major means of support while at Tuskegee unless the University offers employment in the form of a teaching or research assistantship. Dependents holding F-2 status may NOT work under any circumstances.

A major academic and financial benefit for many students in F-1 status is eligibility to apply for various forms of practical training (employment directly related to your field of study). However, please note that one must be a full-time student in an immigration status appropriate for studying for at least the previous nine consecutive months to be considered for practical training. Details are available from the International Programs Office.

Canadian Nationals

Canadians do not need entry visas to enter the United States.  Those entering the United States to study must request F-1 status at the border and must show the form I-20 to the BCBP inspector who will issue an I-94 Card upon entry to the United States. Canadian students must have an I-94 Card to confirm current F-1 status.

How to Obtain a Visa Certificate

In addition to a complete Application for Visa Certificate, you will need to submit the following documents with official English translations:

  • If you hold a passport, a copy of the identification page of your passport;
  • A copy of your letter of admission from the admissions office of your school;
  • A letter from you describing how you will finance your course of study; and
  • Financial documentation which covers all expenses for one year and describes reasonable means of support for future years.

Various documents are required depending on the source of financial support. If you have more than one source of funding, please provide the required documentation corresponding to each source listed below. Please do not send original documents as we cannot return them to you. The required documents for each source of support, plus English translations, are as follows:

Personal funds- A certified copy of a bank letter on bank letterhead, in your own name, prepared within the past three months showing available balances sufficient to meet your expenses

Parents or family- A certified copy of a letter from your parent or other relative which guarantees your support and includes:

  • Your relative's name, address, and relationship to you

  • The program of study or degree for which financial support is being provided

  • The dollar amount per year in U.S.$ being provided and the number of years for which it is guaranteed

  • A copy of your relative's bank letter prepared within the past three months showing available balances sufficient to meet your expenses

An international organization, government agency, foundation, or another university- A certified copy of the official sponsorship letter stating the conditions of the award. The letter should specify the name and address of the sponsor, the total amount of money in U.S.$ available to you for the school of Tuskegee University in which you will be enrolling, the major field and degree for which you will be studying, and the period for which funding is guaranteed or a statement that funding is renewable annually for a specified number of years

Tuskegee University- A copy of your Tuskegee University award letter

Private sponsor- Requirements as under Parents or family a certified letter from your sponsor explaining the sponsor's relationship to you, the student, and why he or she is committed to providing for your support. Please note that U.S. Consular officials subject private sponsor guarantees to careful review and that you should be prepared to submit additional documentation when applying for your entry visa.

Available funds must equal or exceed your expenses for the year as given in the table. Students who will be in the U.S. during summers also will need to document additional funds. 

*Students coming with dependent(s) should add $ 4,000 per dependent to the total amount for preparation of I-20 documents required by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.