Posting Date: July 21, 2022 , REPOSTING Posting End Date: October 21, 2022
Position: Assistant/Associate Professor- Laboratory Animal Medicine Department: Pathobiology/College of Veterinary Medicine
In keeping with the President's commitment to Tuskegee University becoming "One Tuskegee”, the ideal Assistant/Associate Professor of Laboratory Animal Medicine will possess the willingness to use their expertise in transforming Tuskegee into a leading 21st century living and learning environment.
Essential Duties and Job Responsibilities
- Candidate must develop a syllabus and teach the core course, Avian, Exotics and Laboratory Animal Diseases to DVM students.
- Serve as an attending veterinarian and member of the Tuskegee University Animal Care and Use Committee.
- Possess or secure within one year of employment, the “Alabama Veterinary Medicine and Surgery License”.
- Maintain and renew the University’s Animal Welfare Act registration number every three years; must prepare Annual Report of Research Facility (APHIS Form 7023 and 7023A) every year and submit to the agency.
- Develop “Animal Welfare Assurance” document of Public Health Service (PHS) policy for Humane and Use of Laboratory Animals every four or five years, and maintain ‘Animal Welfare Assurance Number’ in the Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW).
- Prepare Annual Report to the Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW) every year and submit to the agency.
- Conduct research, either independently or collaboratively, apply for external grant funding and guide graduate and/or professional student research.
- Further develop the Central Laboratory Animal Facility.
- Manage the Comparative Medicine Resource Center (CMRC) “Budget” to include managing the salary of four animal technicians and one Administrative Assistant; purchase animal supplies and CMRC office maintenance supplies; maintain CMRC vehicle and dog trailer.
- The Doctor of Veterinary Medicine or equivalent degree, Laboratory Animal Medicine Residency certificate, and American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine (ACLAM) board eligibility is required. Preference will be given to those candidates possessing the PhD in a related discipline and ACLAM Diplomate status.
- Candidate must have demonstrated research experience and show evidence of technical skills related to bio-instrumentation and record keeping
Successful candidate must have demonstrated teaching experience and at least two years of federal regulatory experience in a School or College of Veterinary Medicine or pertinent agency
Commensurate with education, training and experience
Additional Position Information:
- Does this position require weekend and after work hours’ job responsibilities? No
- Does this position require travel? NO
- Is this position funded through restricted outside funding? No
- If this is a temporary position, what is the end date of the position? No
**The statements contained in this job announcement reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. **
Applications are available at the following link:
Each applicant, including all current/existing employees, must complete and submit a Tuskegee University employment application, resume/CV, a list of (3) letters of recommendation (with detailed contact information) and copies of unofficial transcripts (official transcript(s) will be required upon hire). Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications and submit a completed application packet in order to be considered for the position. The University reserves the right not to fill the position in the event of budgetary or operational constraints. Application packets with missing information will be considered incomplete and will not be processed.
Human Resources Department
101 Kresge Center
Tuskegee, Alabama 36088
Email Address: email@example.com
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer-Male/Female/Veteran/Disabled
Federal law requires identity and employment eligibility verifications on Form I-9 within three (3) business days of employment.
Must be able to pass a background check.