Posting Date: January 29, 2021 Posting End Date: March 29, 2021
Position: Lab Animal Technician Location: College of Veterinary Medicine- Comparative Medicine Resources
Status: Full Time; Exempt
In keeping with the President’s commitment to Tuskegee University demonstrating “Excellence in Every Way”, the ideal Lab Animal Technician will possess the willingness to use his or her expertise to assist in the university’s efforts to be a sustainable academic organization committed to excellence.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Keep records of animals and CMRC inventory
- Receive research animals, take vital signs, assess health status (Vet Technician training, a plus)
- Keep records and inventory of animals received.
- Keep equipment and resources clean and available for researchers
- Daily observe the animals and have some knowledge of animal behavior
- Report illness of animals to ADAC or AV.
- Treat sick animals as directed by AV or ADAC.
- Feed and water to all animals on a daily basis.
- Assist in exercising animals, especially dogs as needed and/or required.
- Clean animal cages, feeders, water bottles, lixits, rubber stoppers, etc. as per Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
- Maintain all Equipment safe, and in good working conditions.
- Report malfunctioning equipment to ADAC or AV immediately after discovery.
- Assist research investigators and research assistants/graduate students in the proper handling of animals.
- Provide research investigators and research assistants or Graduate students needed resources as required.
- Assist in ensuring that all investigators and research assistants/graduate students to comply with proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE) and observe the animal welfare regulations; otherwise report such violation to the ADAC or AV immediately.
- Assist in the collection of blood, urine and feces from animals as directed.
- Receive purchased animals ordered from vendors
- Keep inventories of animals and availability of food and bedding supplies on hand.
- Transport animals and animal feed and beddings to designated laboratory.
- Clean hallways, coolers, animal rooms and storage rooms as per SOP.
- Assist ADAC and AV in the labeling and record keeping of laboratory supplies and equipment.
- Must be willing to work weekends and holidays as assigned.
- Must maintain adequate records of all purchased animals.
- Must be able to perform other responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum requirement of a High School diploma, GED or higher
- Must have completed an approved program for laboratory animal care/technician or experience in working with animals
- Must have at least one (1) year of working experience with progressively increasing responsibilities in a laboratory animal facility in an institution, industry, or government; three (3) or more years of experience preferred
- Must have an American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) certification at the Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) level or higher, or must become certified within one year of employment
- Must be able to perform responsibilities with minimal supervision
- Basic knowledge of the husbandry of rodents (mice, rat, hamster, guinea pigs), rabbits, dogs, goats, horses, birds, cattle or other laboratory animals
- Ability to take care of immune-comprised research animals
- Ability to treat animals as directed by Attending Veterinarian (AV) or Assistant Director of Animal Care (ADAC)
- Ability to collect biologic specimens from laboratory rodents, rabbits, dogs, cattle, horses, birds and other laboratory animals for necropsy diagnosis and clinical pathologic diagnosis
- Ability to lift up to fifty pounds (50 lbs.)
- Must be willing to work weekends and holidays as assigned
Commensurate with education, training and experience
**The statements contained in this job announcement reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. **
APPLICATIONS will be accepted in the Office of Human Resources. Each applicant, including all current/existing employees, must complete and submit a Tuskegee University employment application, resume/CV, (3) to (5) letters of reference (with detailed contact information) and copies of unofficial transcripts (official transcript(s) will be required upon hire). Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications and submit a completed application packet in order to be considered for the position. The University reserves the right not to fill the position in the event of budgetary or operational constraints.
Office of Human Resources
1200 West Montgomery Road
101 Kresge Center
Tuskegee, Alabama 36088
Email Address: email@example.com Fax: 334-724-4319
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer-Male/Female/Veteran/Disabled
Federal law requires identity and employment eligibility verifications on Form I-9 within three (3) business days of employment. Must be able to pass a drug screen and background check.