Posting Date: Auust 23, 2020 Posting End Date: Ocober 23, 2020
Position: Veterinary Technician/Technologist I Department: College of Veterinary Medicine
Status: Full-time; Exempt (2 positions)
In keeping with the President’s commitment to Tuskegee University demonstrating “Excellence in Every Way”, the ideal Veterinary Technician/Technologist I will possess the willingness to use his or her expertise to assist in the university’s efforts to be a sustainable academic organization committed to excellence.
Essential Duties and Job Responsibilities
- Assist with or perform routine procedures, such as physical examinations, fecal, urine and blood collection and administer ophthalmic, otic, oral, or topical medications as directed by faculty veterinarian supervisor.
- Provide or assist in patient care and monitoring throughout the year including weekends, after-hours, inclement weather, and assigned holidays.
- Walk, feed, provide humane restraint, bathe or otherwise provide assigned care for animals housed in the VMTH.
- Maintain cleanliness and safety in patient care wards and treatment areas including kennels, indoor/outdoor runs, examination rooms, and other hospital spaces.
- Maintain adequate supplies, medications, etc. at all times.
- Assist and support assigned service and other services as time/resources allows.
- Manage and monitor all intensive care patients.
- Manage appointment schedule for the assigned service (rescheduling, appropriate recheck scheduling, triage).
- Maintain an accurate inventory of both patients and supplies.
- Maintain all equipment in the intensive care area.
- Maintain an accurate daily hospital census, travel sheets, and whiteboard items.
- Maintain a daily log/input into electronic medical record of all medications and supplies used on patients.
- Place IV catheters, administer medications (IV, IM, SC), provide first-aid to patients under indirect faculty veterinarian supervision.
- Take responsibility for client education at discharge as needed/assigned.
- Provide timely follow up with the referring veterinarian and the client and monitor client compliance as needed/directed.
- Participate in academic rounds.
- Assist in the instructional process for students rotating through Small Animal Services (community practice, dentistry, dermatology, intensive care, internal medicine, surgery/anesthesia, etc.).
- Assist in teaching students/interns techniques: medication, injection, bandaging, blood collection/administration, fluid administration, and nursing care.
- Assist/supervise anesthesia patient monitoring, pain management protocols, nursing care, specialty procedures (endoscopies, diagnostic imaging assisted procedures, emergency stabilization, CPR, etc.) and maintain supplies and equipment.
- Assist in teaching patient monitoring, pain management protocols and post-hospital care for the owner.
- Assist in preparing for and participating in inspections (AAHA, IACUC, USDA, OSHA, AVMA-COE, etc.).
- Perform all other duties as assigned by the Dean, Department Head, Section Chiefs or VMTH Director.
- Must be a graduate of an accredited veterinary medical technology program or equivalent and eligible for licensure in the State of Alabama.
- Must have at least 1 years’ experience in a veterinary practice or veterinary/veterinary technician academic environment.
- Be able to lift 40 lbs or more without difficulty and restrain 80 lbs or more with assistance, navigate stairs, have manual dexterity.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good and efficient organizational skills.
- Be able to perform work assignments independently
- Ability to operate office equipment (computer, typing, Microsoft Office experience, fax, copier, data entry).
Commensurate with education, training and experience
The statements contained in this job announcement reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered as an all-inclusive listing of work requirements.
Applications are available at the following link:
Each applicant, including all current/existing employees, must complete and submit a Tuskegee University employment application, resume/CV, a list of 3 to 5 references with detailed contact information. Copies of unofficial transcripts must also be submitted (official transcript(s) will be required upon hire). Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications and submit a completed application packet for consideration of the position. The University reserves the right not to fill the position in the event of budgetary or operational constraints.
Completed applications may be mailed or submitted electronically to:
Office of Human Resources
1200 West Montgomery Road
101 Kresge Center
Tuskegee, Alabama 36088
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 334-724-4319
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer-Male/Female/Veteran/Disabled
Federal law requires identity and employment eligibility verifications on Form I-9 within three (3) business days of employment.
Must be able to pass a drug screen and background check.