The President's Men and Women Leadership Program (PMWLP)
Coordinator: Dr. Sheena Harris, Interim Director of Student Engagement Initiatives
The purpose of PMWLP is to comprehensively develop the TU student for leadership and service.
What is the PMWLP?
The PMWLP is a newly developed student engagement initiative for the Tuskegee University student through a yearlong leadership experience with President Lily D. McNair.
Participants in the President’s Men and Women Leadership Program (PMWLP) will have the opportunity to directly interact with the president, engage in experiential leadership activities, represent the Office of the President at high level functions, participate on University committees and learn about leadership while developing your skills as a student Leader
As a program, we hope to:
- identify and facilitate the development of a cohort of student leaders:
- improve participants’ self-efficacy, self-knowledge, and core competencies for leadership through information sharing, skills and relationship building:
- enhance individual and group leadership competencies through service-based learning opportunities:
Requirements of Participation
- Attend bi-weekly leadership roundtable meetings
- Attend designated University events including lyceum, convocations and other designated events
- Attend mandatory leadership retreat
- Commit to the program for the entire academic year
- Fulfill other program requirements as outlined by the program leadership
Benefits of the PMWLP
- Scholarship determined in conjunction with the student’s current aid package
- Letter of recommendation from President McNair upon successful completion of the program
- Direct engagement with high level visitors, business leaders and CEO’s
- Direct interaction and engagement with the president
- Development as a competent and credentialed leader
Applications Are Now Being Accepted for the 2019-2020 Academic Year for Current TU Students
Applications to the President’s Men and Women Leadership Program for all students are now being accepted. The PMWLP application deadline for Fall 2019 is Friday, May 30, 2019 for current TU students and July 1, 2019 for new incoming students.
Application to the program will be very selective. Each year, a cohort of 25-30 students will be accepted into the program including both new and returning students. The minimum requirements for this program for current TU students will be a 3.0 GPA, a demonstrated desire and commitment to learn more about leadership and service.
Completing the Application
Applicants to the President’s Men and Women Leadership Program should prepare the following information in making application:
- A personal resume that provides insight into your academic, leadership and service experiences along with any employment experience you may have. You will be required to submit a PDF file of your resume as part of the application
- Prepare a personal essay on how you can benefit from program participation, what you can contribute to the program if selected, and your philosophy of leadership
- Gather the names, email addresses, telephone numbers of two references (including at least one TU faculty/staff member) who are knowledgeable of your academic accomplishments and can attest to your character, level of commitment and ability to benefit from program participation
- A professional photo (passport photos are fine)
- Complete the online portion of the application by the May 30, 2019 deadline