SPRING COMMENCEMENT 2018
Saturday, May 12, 2018 - 10:00 a.m. CST
Daniel "Chappie" James Center
Barron M. Witherspoon Sr. '85
Global Vice President for Industry Affairs, Procter & Gamble
SATURDAY, MAY 5
- 10:00 a.m. College of Veterinary Medicine Graduation Ceremony - Tuskegee University Chapel - Speaker: TBA
THURSDAY, MAY 10
- 10:00 a.m. Graduation Rehearsal - Daniel "Chappie" James Center
- 7:00 p.m. Education Induction Ceremony - Kellogg Conference Center Ballroom - Speaker: TBA
FRIDAY, MAY 11
- 10:00 a.m. Baccalaureate Service - Tuskegee University Chapel - Speaker: TBA
- Time: TBA Graduates & Parents Reception - Location: TBA
- 1:00 p.m. ROTC Commissioning Ceremony - Tuskegee University Chapel - Speaker: TBA
- 3:00 p.m. Nursing & Allied Health Capping & Pinning Ceremony - Tuskegee University Chapel - Speaker: TBA
- 3:00 p.m. Order of the Engineer Ceremony - Logan Hall - Speaker: Karan Y. Dyson, P&G - Director of Global Grooming Process and Engineering
- 6:00 p.m. Social Work Pinning Ceremony - Tuskegee University Chapel - Speaker: TBA
SATURDAY, MAY 12
- 10:00 a.m. Spring Commencement - Daniel "Chappie" James Center - Speaker: Barron M. Witherspoon '85 [read more]
COMMENCEMENT DAY INFORMATION
- At this time, graduating seniors will receive 5 tickets for entry to the commencement exercises, due to the limited seating capacity of the Daniel "Chappie" James Center. Tickets will be distributed to graduating seniors during rehearsal.
- Primary Location: Daniel Chappie James Center (with tickets)
- Overflow Locations: the University Chapel and Luther H. Foster Hall auditorium (tickets not required)
- Live Streaming on Commencement day: www.tuskegee.edu/live
- Doors to the James Center will open at 7:30 a.m.(tentatively) and close at 9:15 a.m. for the line of march.
- No entry into the arena during the processional. The processional will begin at 9:30 a.m.
- You must have a ticket to enter the arena, no exceptions. If you do not have a ticket, please proceed to one of the satellite locations listed below.
OVERFLOW/ SATELLITE LOCATIONS
The following areas have been designated as overflow/ satellite locations for viewing Commencement remotely:
- The Tuskegee University Chapel
- Luther H. Foster Hall
SECTIONS FOR THE DISABLED
- Sections are available in the Daniel "Chappie" James Center for disabled persons using wheelchairs.
- Graduating seniors should inform appropriate University personnel in advance of any special needs of family members or guests.
DESIGNATED PUBLIC PARKING
- Behind Foster Hall
- In front of Harvey Hall
- Behind the Chapel
- Beside Kenney Hall
- Handicapped parking beside Foster Hall
- Please consult the campus map for regular parking.
- On-campus shuttle service will begin at 8:30 a.m. from designated parking lots on Commencement Day.
- Sit back and enjoy the event from you computer or mobile device
- On Commencement day go to www.tuskegee.edu/live, or the Tuskegee University homepage and click on LIVE Commencement Webcast.
- The broadcast will begin at approximately 9:30 a.m.
- Or watch Commencement Service from a satellite location. View the campus map.
This page will be updated as information becomes available.
THE CAP - The approved cap of the academic costume is the mortar board or Oxford cap- a stiff board nine inches square, usually covered in cotton poplin, Russell cord, or spun rayon, placed on a soft cap made of the same material and jointed in a pointed design in front and back. The front of the cap is shorter than the back, but the color is always that of the gown and is uniformly black for the four-year colleges. The use of velvet material has been reserved for the cap for the doctor’s degree. A silk cord with a tassel made of many strands of threads is attached to a button in the center of the board. The length of the cord and tassel may vary with the degree of the wearer.
THE GOWN - The basic design for gowns is similar for all degrees; the minor variations in fullness and length of sleeves and trimmings are indicative of degree levels. Cotton poplin fabric is used for the bachelor’s and master’s gown, and ribbed rayon or silk material is reserved for the doctor’s gown.
THE HOOD - No longer worn for warmth, the hood has become the colorful standard bearer of academic symbolism. It varies in length from three feet to three and a half feet, representing the bachelor’s, master’s, and doctor’s degree, respectively. The colors or colors of the lining of the hood is trimmed or edged in a border of velvet either two inches, three inches, or five inches in width for the bachelor’s, master’s and doctor’s degree. The border color represents the faculty or field of study in which the degree was awarded.
Information taken from The Admissions, Academic Records, and Registrar Handbook of Policies and Procedures, C. James Quann and Associates: 1979.
HONORS REGALIA - In recognition of scholarship of high quality, a student may graduate with distinction according to the following cumulative grade point averages:
- Summa Cum Laude (3.75) - Gold shoulder stole/crimson letters
- Magna Cum Laude (3.50) - Gold shoulder stole/crimson letters
- Cum Laude (3.25) Cords - One gold and one crimson
Candidates for honors must qualify one semester prior to commencement. Regalia for honor students will be issued at graduation rehearsal. Students are permitted to keep honors regalia.
All seniors completing graduation requirements may place orders for graduation regalia with the Tuskegee Campus Bookstore. Deadlines to do so will be advertised in March. For more information (regarding regalia and invitations), call 334-727-5314.
Academic Terms: “Alumni” and Others
- alumna - Use this singular term for a female graduate.
- alumnus - Use this singular term for a male graduate.
- alumnae - Use this plural term for a group of female graduates.
- alumni - Use this plural term for former students or graduates, whether referring to a group of males or a group consisting of males and females.
- alma mater - A term that may be used when referring to Tuskegee University, the university from which you have graduated.
- Bachelor of Arts - B.A.
- Bachelor of Science - B.S.
- Master of Arts - M.A.
- Master of Science - M.S.
- Doctor of Philosophy - Ph.D.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine - DVM
Tuskegee University Alumni Associations:
- Tuskegee National Alumni Association, Inc. (TNAA)
- Tuskegee University National Athletic Association (TUNAA)
- Tuskegee University Agriculture, Environment & Nutrition Sciences Alumni Association (TUAENSAA)
- Tuskegee Architecture and Construction Alumni Association (TACAA)
- Tuskegee University Nursing Alumni Association (TUNNAA)
- Tuskegee University Band Alumni Association (TUBAA)
- Tuskegee Veterinary Medical Alumni Association (TVMAA)
- Tuskegee University Engineering Alumni Association (TUEAA)